HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

started PEP - anyone else?

(1/2) > >>

capreise:
I'm a 21 yo male, and I had receptive anal intercourse yesterday.  The other guy ejaculated and pulled out afterwards to find out that the condom ripped.  Having worked in an HIV clinic before, I am of course sensitive to the idea of infection and appropriately (or maybe inappropriately) freaked.  He said he "was clean" (but this encounter was casual), but he wouldn't take a test or even go with me to get one after I offered to take him and informed him the clinic was anonymous and testing was free.  I simply wanted to know his status right then for some peace of mind.  Shitty guy and a shitty experience.

Anyway, I am beginning the Truvada/Isentress PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) regimen today (took it within ~26 hours of exposure event).  I'm posting this forum to hear from others who are on a PEP regimen or have taken one to generate discussion and so that I don't feel alone in this process.  I have questions too, and I hope to keep up with some of you in this journey.  My biggest concern at this present moment is the side effects I will probably feel.  I'm a college student, and it will probably be hell managing classes, work, and the side effects.  Anyone else had this experience already?

Jeff G:
The only thing that matters is your HIV test so I would not worry about the other guy .

Im also surprised that working at an HIV clinic you were never told that referring to HIV negative people as clean is to infer those of us with HIV are dirty . Its offensive .

You can test 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results . Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STDs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Please do not post outside of this thread no matter how long between visits or subject matter . You can go to your profile and select show own post when you return and it will take you here .

capreise:
well I guess I forgot to include punctuation...I quoted it because those were his words, and I'm trying to make a point of his character and my obvious lapse of good judgment. 

Anyway, yeah thanks for your reply and time.  I appreciate it.

I'm a researcher so I'm cursed with being critical and can't count the number of times I've repeatedly read the literature for post-exposure prophylaxis.  I'm hoping data gives way to some luck and a major lesson learned and I can get past this as a more informed and improved person.

For anyone who is interested, this is an EXCELLENT article published in the New England Journal of Medicine for PEP consideration:

My physician pretty much provided the exact information and followed with similar treatment guidelines without me mentioning having read this article.

Jeff G:
You can read the posting guidelines here http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=220.0

We pretty much stick to doing HIV assessments in this forum and the others are for people living with HIV or family and friends in the Someone I care about forum .

Please know that Pep extends the window period out to 6 weeks post pep and again at 3 months . There is a wealth of information  on the forum to read if you want to educate yourself . Thanks .

capreise:
well I'm confused now because you're the one who moved my thread to this category but now you're basically saying I'm not within the guidelines...

For a website that's supposed to encourage positive discussion in a community of many individuals that most often need some kind of support from others, you sure are quite the "hospitable" moderator.  All you've done so far is reply with thinly veiled hostility.  Guess this isn't the welcoming sort of group for me.  Later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version