POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 09:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23303
  • Latest: JP1002
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635795
  • Total Topics: 48236
  • Online Today: 314
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My 2 doctors disagree on my Prezista and Norvir dosage  (Read 517 times)

Offline Rockin

My 2 doctors disagree on my Prezista and Norvir dosage
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
Hello there. My doctor in the UK in March of this year recommended a slight change of regimen, he said Prezista was better for my situation so I started taking it right away. So this was the regimen I was taking until now (and was UND in May, going to take new blood test next week):

1 pill of Prezista (800g Darunavir)
1 pill of Truvada
1 pill of Norvir (100mg of Ritonavir)

However, I'm having to stay a period in South America, at least during the winter, and my doctor here is recommending a different dosage, which he says is the one according to the health system guidelines. Since there is no pill of 800mg of Prezista here and no Truvada at all, this is the one he is recommending:

1200mg of Prezista (4 pills of 300mg each)
200mg of Norvir (1 morning and 1 evening)
300mg of 3TC (2 pills of 150mg of Lamivudine each)
300mg of Viread (1 pill of Tenofovir)

A whopping 9 pills a day  :-\

I asked him about this change from 800mg to 1200mg of Darunavir and he says that's the guideline. He's not against the 800mg recommended by the UK NHS, but he told me he usually prescribes 1.200mg. As for the 2 pills of Norvir, he says in my case I may continue taking just one of 100mg along with the others in the morning and ditching the other one for the evening but I have a feeling he doesn't think it's the safest way to go, in the long run. The NHS, on the other hand, recommended just 100mg a day really, in the morning with the others.

So now, obviously, I'm slightly confused and concerned. When I started my treatment in 2011 I was taking Reyataz+3TC+Norvir+Viread (cannot take Atripla due to resistance to Effavirenz). But I had to stop Reyataz due to increased jaundice, especially in the eyes, and switched to Fosamprenavir (Lexiva).

However, the NHS claimed Lexiva was a really old medicine that was no longer being used and suggested the switch to Prezista. That was in March and I remained UND in May and I have been taking the NHS regimen until now. They never said anything about Norvir 2x a day either.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information about this or goes through the same regimen. I don't know who to believe. The HIV clinic I used to go in the UK was wonderful and they really seem to know what they were doing. My doctor here in SA is also great so I'm really torn about this. Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:20:19 PM by Rockin »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: My 2 doctors disagree on my Prezista and Norvir dosage
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
800mg Prezista works fine for people without significant PI resistance esp folk who are undetectable, this is a dose recommended in the drug's prescribing leaflet. - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:16 AM »
Newt, I was hoping you'd answer, since I've always admired your knowledge on all things HIV. Thanks a lot, I was thinking the same thing.

What about the 2 pills of Norvir a day? Do you know why is there some controversy towards it?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
The 2 x day dosing (600mg Prezista + 100mg Norvir 2 times a day) is recommended for people with some PI resistance.

The 1 x day dosing (800mg Prezista + 100mg Norvir) is recommended for people with no PI resistance.

If you were undetectable on Lexiva then you have no/insignificant PI resistance and can use the 1 x day dose.

If you can't get the 400mg or 800mg Prezista tabs where you are then a 900mg 1 x day dose is close enough (this will be 3 of the 300mg tabs). Obviously this will need a 100mg Norvir booster.

It is possible your doc's caution on dosing comes from experience, i.e. treating people with PI resistance and poor access to resistance testing. The higher dose 2 x day option is fine, but prob unnecessary. I personally would opt for less Norvir, therefore take the 1 x day lower dose, which indeed I do, having switched from a different PI like you. Still undetectable.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
Thank you so much Newt, that was very enlightening.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.