POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 08:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636488
  • Total Topics: 48310
  • Online Today: 258
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hi advice on my situation, please!  (Read 472 times)

Offline jimmystar

Hi advice on my situation, please!
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Hi everyone!!

Im new to the forum cos I need some advice.

My background is that I had sex with a csw on the 23rd October, and the condom split. I think it was only for a very short period until we noticed. About 2mins aprox. The girl was from Romania, and said she had no stds cos she has a baby?! So it sounds like she hadn't had a test very recently, but had to take her word for it.

Im based in the UK so I visited the local GUM, they put me on pep, just on the 72hour mark. I completed the course, and had a follow up appointment 4weeks after the incident. They did my blood tests for hiv etc and I haven't heard anythin, they only contact u if they need to.

My next appointment isnt until 17th January.

I know from reading other posts Iam considered to be of a very low risk.

But my main worry is my lymph nodes, they were sore at the start of takin pep but soon went away, but aprox 3-4weeks after finishing pep they are extremely sore again. Particularly my left side of my groin and my neck.

With this worry in the back of my mind I purchased a home test kit oraquick, I tested negative 4weeks post pep.

My questions are:

1. How accurate would a oraquick test be 4weeks post pep?

2. I know pep is an extremely hard drug and did cause some side effects like lightheadedness, lose stools etc but could it still be causing my lymphnodes to be sore?

3. Apart from a bit of fuzzy headness, and aches and pains which I could put down to stress, I haven't had any other symptoms like rashes or fever.

But the lymph nodes is causing concern, would it be normal to have such sore lymph nodes with out other common symptoms?

Thanks in advance, this seems like an excellent forum wit lots of support!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Hi advice on my situation, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
You are correct that your risk was low . PEP is not indicated for for condom breaks in the situation as you describe it but that is in the past now .

A negative HIV Test must be followed up with a 3 month conformation of the results .
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Your low end risk and the fact that you did get PEP whether indicated or not means you should fully expect a negative test result so I wouldn't be playing a guessing game about symptoms that overwhelming point to something other than HIV . If your sick go see a doctor and find out why .

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STDs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

Offline jimmystar

Re: Hi advice on my situation, please!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the reply.

I always practice safe sex, and get regular check ups as I actually already do suffer from genital herpes out breaks. (Another unfortunate incident, which I never knew who gave them to me)

And thats part of the reason I came here instead of a local doctor, if I told him about the time line of my swollen lymph nodes or anyto do with sexual health, they tell u to visit the local GUM clinic.  Where I already have an appointment on 17th January.

So Im some what at loggerheads, as both departments would tell u to visit the other in the mean time.

I was hoping someone else had experienced sore lymph nodes after takin pep, and it would somexhat put my mind at ease. But it looks like I have to put up wit the discomfort for another 3weeks. Where I will get my 8week post pep test.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.