POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:55:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642881
  • Total Topics: 48907
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: neurontin/gabapentin experience  (Read 854 times)

Online zach

• not fade away
neurontin/gabapentin experience
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
prescribed for neuropathic pain in legs from mylitis. originally on 300mg, didn't even know thats what it treated at the time. no effect. asked for med for nerve pain. doc upped dosage to 600mg, some relief. last night, took 900mg. this morning i can walk, without spastic movement. still feel it, wont be cross country running, but i can tell a difference. probably not a good idea to take that much daily, or casually, but i didn't trip out or anything from it

erowid reports on neurontin experiences describe it almost psychedelic, so far i have not found that to be true. definitely mind altering for a few hours, don't drive
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: neurontin/gabapentin experience
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
Those drugs can take awhile to reach the full potential for relief ... How long have you been on them ?

I would talk to your doctor before I upped the dose like that . Im not sure if they can cause stress on the liver or have potential to harm at higher doses but in light of what you are recovering from you sure don't want to assume more is better and do harm in the long run .

I suffer from two types of neuropathy and there are few good effective treatments and some people respond well to those treatments and some do not, my heart goes out to you as I do fully appreciate what you are dealing with and how it effects you .   

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:16:03 AM »
i've been at 300mg per day over a month... upped by doc to 600mg a couple weeks ago

i took 900mg, without clearance, mea culpa

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
I'm confused -- did you doctor start you off on 300mg just once a day or three times a day? I believe doing it 3 times a day is the "starter dose" as it has a half-life of only 5-7 hours (mine definitely wears off at hour 5 but I stretch the dose times to every 6 hours, meaning hours when I am awake -- if I take the last dose 3-4 hours before going to bed my pain doesn't wake me up for some reason). The maximum time between doses should not exceed 12 hours.

I am now up to 600mg thrice daily and have been on that dose for two months now, after being on 300mg x 3 for two months and it not doing enough.

Jeff is correct that one shouldn't evaluate the efficacy of an increased dose for 2-4 weeks, but at the same time if you are taking 900mg spread out in 3 doses then that is a minimal dose. However, if you are taking 3 300mg at one time that is not advised and this is what happens when you change doses without consulting your physician. The maximum dose per day is 3600mg and at that dose is done 900mg 4 times per day, so they do go up far. Also, some doctors prefer not going that high and combining it with Lyrica -- something about different gaba receptors and that everyone reacts differently to these medications, but a doctor would know more about current guidelines, etc. It's easy to go on discussion groups and read where patients are on higher doses than 3600mg but for unique issues -- but you also read complaints galore at higher doses.

Personally I don't get any "psychedelic high" from this medication. At the same time I find it doesn't benefit me much, though it's better than not taking it all -- it kind of shaves off 10% of my pain issues, but then I am dealing with about 3 different nerve issues at one time all in one area of my body. It's just tiding me over until my neurologist appointment this Tuesday.

And remember -- this is a medication that MUST be tapered up and down so never, EVER stop it cold turkey. It's basically an anti-convulsant med used off-label for pain relief so I guess not following directions could lead to a nasty experience. Same for Lyrica.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:35:08 PM by Miss Philicia »
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
i was 300mg once daily for a month, 600mg once daily for a week and a half now i guess. all that was doctor approved.

yes, yesterday i took 900mg at one time

i have another brain scan next week (or monday tues of the following) so back into the  skull cage, taking a camera this time

i will ask, and i wont do it again

look i didn't chop it up and cut lines, i had thought about it, but its a capsule  ::)

edited to add: ms p, are you saying you take 600mg, three times a day? i also didn't have any sort of trip, kind of hoping
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:53:11 PM by zach »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
I find it odd that a doctor would prescribe a medication with a half-life of 5-7 hours only once daily. What's the point? That's like prescribing a half-dose of Truvada.

If I were you I would phone/email the doctor and ask about this, as well as inquire about increasing your dose by saying it's not working at this point.

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
ok, went to the bottle... it reads... original bottle: take 1 capsule by mouth every night... the higher dosage refill reads 2 capsules, night

just to clarify, you're saying my daily dosage is too low, but the one time dosage is too high... and that whatever dosage is taken, wears off in 5-7 hrs?

so if i'm wanting to use this stuff to function, and be able to move around i need to take it during the day

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Years ago I was on gabapentin for nerve damage due to a back injury.  I also was prescibed it the same way miss p was.  I took it either 2 or 3 times over the course of a day (from what i remember, it was over 7 years ago).

I remember I didnt like it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »

just to clarify, you're saying my daily dosage is too low, but the one time dosage is too high... and that whatever dosage is taken, wears off in 5-7 hrs?

I'm just saying it's very odd -- the "starter" dose is usually 300mg three times a day, though they may taper you up to that by saying take one a day for three days, then two a day for three days, then you arrive at three a day -- but you do not take them all at once because they only last 5-7 hours. I take mine every six hours -- 9 AM, 3 PM, 9 PM -- the last pill wears off while I am asleep.

You wait a couple months to gauge the effect on your nerve issue then if you and the doctor think it's not working they increase it to double that, i.e. 600mg 3 times a day.

I don't know how to write this any clearer if you are not getting what I am saying.

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
no no, i'm gettin you, totally

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Neither one of these drugs did me any good.  Neurontin or Lyrica.  I only took them for a couple months, but stopped taking them when I didn't notice anything was helping.

It wasn't until my doctor switched my HIV medication and I started taking vitamin B12 shots, alpha lipoic acid, and acetyl L carnitine did my feet start to feel somewhat normal again.  I still have flare-ups from time to time, but I am able to wear shoes now and go to gym without being in so much pain.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD

Offline Bunny

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »
I was on lyrica for 6 to 8 months when I got drug induced PN but did not work any more to me. Two MRI was carried to brain & back. The results did not ruled out nothing. I was wasted money, time & feelings. Only time  improved so much to me. Still my pain not gone away but so much improved.gud luck.
August 2010, CD4 320
December 2010, CD4 250
June 2011 CD4 ?,(started lamivudine, nevirapine, stavudine )
September 2011, CD4 488
January 2012, Switched drugs due to severe Peripheral neuropathy (Started lamivudine, nevirapine, Zidovudine)
February 2012, CD4 485
August 2012,CD4 472
October 2012, Switched drugs to Lamivudine, Tenofavir, Effavirenz
Jan 2012, CD4 600
Sept 2013, CD4 555
Mar 2014, CD4 612
Sep 2014, CD4 427

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.