Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Newly diagnosed less than 2 weeks and placed on leave by employer

<< < (3/12) > >>

exarmyguy77:
Thanks Dano!  I feel they are doing well so far with not disclosing my status which I'm happy about.  It is the ignorance of saying and thinking that I'm a risk to patients and placing me on leave.   Does anyone out there feel they are a risk to people?

mecch:
Well who exactly said what to you. If I were you, i would remember the details, dates, and quotes up to this date. Also, going forward, you should jot down anything else that occurs to you to be discriminatory in the same notebook. Time, date, means of communication, and person and quote.

xinyuan:

--- Quote from: exarmyguy77 on December 07, 2013, 03:17:28 PM ---Thanks Dano!  I feel they are doing well so far with not disclosing my status which I'm happy about.  It is the ignorance of saying and thinking that I'm a risk to patients and placing me on leave.   Does anyone out there feel they are a risk to people?

--- End quote ---

In principle, if you go undetectable on consistent adherence to ART's (and by European standards, for at least 6 months), your risk of transmission to others is practically none. Not zero, mind you, but for all intents and purposes ...

It's sad that the US has yet to catch up policy-wise to other countries with newer data, rather than the other way around.

pittman:

--- Quote from: xinyuan on December 07, 2013, 06:09:36 PM ---In principle, if you go undetectable on consistent adherence to ART's (and by European standards, for at least 6 months), your risk of transmission to others is practically none. Not zero, mind you, but for all intents and purposes ...

It's sad that the US has yet to catch up policy-wise to other countries with newer data, rather than the other way around.

--- End quote ---

I would clarify this.  While what you say is true, about being undetectable, remaining on medication, etc., you left off the part that you would also have to actually be doing something that risks transmission.  That really does not sound like its the case here, and if you add the use of universal precautions, I can't see any reasonable risk in what was being described, even if not yet undetectable.

Exarmyguy77, I would definitely educate yourself about any legal requirements for your location, by speaking with a knowledgable legal advisor referred by a local ASO.  I wouldn't think restrictions on your work would survive legal scrutiny once your symptoms are resolved from the acute infection and/or the meds.

In general, I am not aware of a requirement to disclose HIV status to employers, though in the medical field that may vary. Again, confirm with an attorney familiar with that.

buginme2:

--- Quote from: xinyuan on December 07, 2013, 06:09:36 PM ---

--- End quote ---

What are you talking about?  What policy are you speaking of?  The current US policy is far ahead of Europe as far as universal treatment.  Way ahead of Europe's 350 cd4 threshold. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version