POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 12:07:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23024
  • Latest: louis80
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631732
  • Total Topics: 47825
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being Vegan  (Read 979 times)

Offline ShadowBlue

Being Vegan
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »
I did it for about a year before, then gave it a one year hiatus (undoing all the health progress achieved), and since the first of this month am devoting myself a lifetime of health with my second and final round of devotion.

I cut out the booze (after a history of dangerously heavy drinking) and tobacco, for a change at prolonging my life, and attaining the best health imaginable living with HIV.

So far, I've been taken of my blood pressure medication, and have lost ten pounds.

Being vegan; it's a journey that, at first, will test your dedication through resisting ridiculously strong temptation, and, for the long run, will continue to assist me in staying strong and focused through other areas of my life.

Any one else here vegan?

Offline texaninnyc87

Re: Being Vegan
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
Mostly vegan. I eat some cage free local eggs. Been a vegetarian for 13 years. I think it's the only ethical diet choice there is and the health benefits are just an added perk! Vitamins are a must though and regulating your protein and amino intakes can be a little tedious, but it's definitely worth it in the long run.
Congrats!
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Being Vegan
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
When I was about you age I was vegetarian for a couple years then I was vegan for a year.
Honestly in retrospect I think this was an acting out of OCD tendencies and some body dysmorphia, that runs in my family. I am not OCD but just short of it, according to two shrinks I have seen at different stages of my life.
At the time I was vegan my sister was bulimic / anorexic.  I myself got rail thin and I liked that. It was something I valued.  Also working a stressful job in the city and also running. A lot - km a week. I liked the streamlined almost "purity" I felt in my youthful strength, the extreme lightness of my body. I liked the power of control I had.

I really enjoyed the not smoking, the not drinking, and only somewhat the dietary restrictions, but lets say it was an interesting experiment. Course back in the 80's it wasn't as easy as today, to find things to eat when being social - out with friends, visiting family, etc etc.  Luckily I lived near one of the best whole food coops of the time and also had some nutrition courses at University.

I wasn't HIV at the time. My GP didn't like my diet nor my thinness. Old fashioned brooklyn gal Dr.  Towards the end of that year I was diagnosed with misc fatigue issues. I went to some healers and they said I wasn't grounded anymore. I had become ethereal. My doc ordered me to stop and go get a meatball grinder and focus my powers of control on other spheres of my life.  Which I did. In retrospect it was expert advice and I moved on.

Im sure there were many ways I did the vegan thing wrong but I wasn't completely reckless about it, either. 
I think its great that you are drinking less or not at all, quit smoking, and putting whole foods in your body.

Remember that some of what vegans are doing is really about morality and politics, and not so much about any proven nutritional or health benefits.  Yes, some middle aged folks find the vegan diet a lifesaver after heart disease, cholesterol problems, diabetes perhaps, etc etc.  Cant deny that.
My contribution here, is that please take some critical distance in this "devotion" to a diet / regime.  First of all, you said its your final "devotion" but IMO its wise not to set yourself up for such "lifetime" commitments about things, so young.  Roll with it and enjoy it but don't sweat times you might break away.

Enjoy the good things about being vegan but watch that it doesn't become dysfunctionally involved with any OCD tendencies, control issues, or body dysmorphia you might have.  Always listen to what your friends and doctors say about this journey and keep an open mind to their outside perspectives.

Always please remember you don't need to be vegan to have a "whole foods" diet, a bio diet, or a well-balanced healthy diet...  And also that while there are benefits, there are risks and downsides.  And that you will miss out on many wonderful amazing foods and dinners, etc.!  Also you can live a long life on any healthy diet.  The number one action you took was not smoking, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:05:07 PM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.