Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Great news: after 5 yrs, the ADAP waiting lists have been eliminated!

<< < (2/3) > >>

leatherman:

--- Quote from: metekrop on December 02, 2013, 12:35:09 PM ---So, is there any way that people would not be going onto the ADAP list again either by losing their current insurance or states failure to accommodate new HIV patients on ADAP.

--- End quote ---
exactly!! In states that did NOT implement the Medicaid Expansion Program (which though like regular Medicaid is not the same old Medicaid program. the current program is reactive, this new ACA version is proactive... but that's another discussion LOL), there are people who will need to now purchase insurance to get coverage but who will not make enough to purchase insurance. It's a new doughnut hole and I have several friends who will be falling into this hole. ADAP is probably going to have to help out, and that'll put a greater strain on that budget.

Waiting lists again?? Maybe. Only time will tell but even with the ACA many hiv positive people, and others with chronic illnesses, are still suffering and costing the system a lot more than if they were treated.

ROOR64:
I lost my healthcare at the end October. So I went in to get checked out as I had been a little 'off' all year since my cold/flu that I had in January. I was diagnosed in early November. I'm straight. I only had 1 partner in forever and that was the fling I had  about 2 months before I got the cold/flu in Jan. I didn't even know her name. 
      I was in shock.(still am). I haven't and won't tell anyone I know about this. I am a guy of little means and my little checking account is always in jeopardy of overdrafts but I've only had two of them in 6 years. I'm on fixed income and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go to where my county services stuff is, which is like 20 miles away. I have a car that just rolled over 200,000 miles that eats gas and is ready to give up and die, you see. Since I no longer had healthcare I was given some phone numbers to call.
      Well when I get ahold of people they have me go to the nearest social services place which is only 7 miles away. I filled out some papers, signed my name on some other papers and then I was told that I had to wait for acceptance via receiving a card(or a declined notice) within two weeks. That was on a Wednesday. The following Wed. I had my ADAP card. 7 days. It was pretty fast. THANK GOODNESS!!!! No waiting at all here. It was an express line actually. The cost was nothing out of pocket. TGIF!
       I just started my treatment tonight with Atripla. Jeez! That pill is HUGE! (as well it should be, I suppose) My equilibrium was screwed for four hours and then it went away and I feel fine. I'm an official atripla junkie now :o    I'm glad this site, ADAP and the Ryan White Foundation are here-they helped me through some dark days recently. I am diving in and moving forward because I have to. Now I just have to get some kind of support network and have an extra set of friends so I can talk about this curse and SOMEHOW try to turn it in to a blessing.

leatherman:
I'm sorry you had to look for us, Roor; but I'm sure glad you found us. You'll find a lot of friends, support and knowledge here. If you ever need something, just start up a new thread and someone here is guaranteed to answer back. LOL

Wow! about your story. I'm sure glad you got tested. Untreated HIV is a very bad thing  ;) And what a great story to hear about you and ADAP! It sounds like the program is doing exactly what it supposed to do - help someone out in a tough situation to get access to meds/treatment as soon as possible regardless of your financial hardships.

Oh yes, transportation is often an issue. It often is for people who aren't living in a metro area. Is the social service place you went to an "AIDS service organization" (ASO)? I ask because agencies like that sometimes are able to arrange transportation or provide travel assistance (ie gas cards). It might be something to check into ;)

Atripla is a great drug (with only a few side effects) so I'm sure you'll see your viral load decline and your cd4 count improve in no time at all. WooHoo for ADAP and Best Wishes to You!  :D

ROOR64:

--- Quote from: leatherman on December 22, 2013, 10:20:51 AM ---I'm sorry you had to look for us, Roor; but I'm sure glad you found us. You'll find a lot of friends, support and knowledge here. If you ever need something, just start up a new thread and someone here is guaranteed to answer back. LOL

Wow! about your story. I'm sure glad you got tested. Untreated HIV is a very bad thing  ;) And what a great story to hear about you and ADAP! It sounds like the program is doing exactly what it supposed to do - help someone out in a tough situation to get access to meds/treatment as soon as possible regardless of your financial hardships.

Oh yes, transportation is often an issue. It often is for people who aren't living in a metro area. Is the social service place you went to an "AIDS service organization" (ASO)? I ask because agencies like that sometimes are able to arrange transportation or provide travel assistance (ie gas cards). It might be something to check into ;)

Atripla is a great drug (with only a few side effects) so I'm sure you'll see your viral load decline and your cd4 count improve in no time at all. WooHoo for ADAP and Best Wishes to You!  :D

--- End quote ---

Thank you! I need to hear things like that right now.  As for if the place is an ASO, I am not sure but the girl assigned to me gave me a six $10 grocery store gift cards right after thanksgiving, so I assume it is if the assistance thing is true. They have been GREAT so far!
       I must admit that I suddenly need serious help when just a few months ago I was completely independent(barely, but still...)
       :)  And, again I really appreciate the response post and the cheerfulness. It helps!

ARMANDO:
what are the eliglbilty requirments to get on ADAP?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version