Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Questions ... is this normal to switch meds so quickly?

(1/2) > >>

Damien:
I live in a smaller town and we dont have alot of doctors with HIV experence. The doctor I see is the only doctor that really has experence in HIV care and has a number of HIV patients.

Before I started meds, I asked to have Genotype lab test ran to see what meds would be the best for me to start on. When the results came back the doctor and I went over them and made the choice to start Combivir & Viracept.

After a month on the meds I went in for lab work, once the CBC came back it showed that I was starting to develope anemia. My doctor then reviewed my genotype again and saw that I was resistant to viracept; we quickly stitched to Atripla.

After being on Atripla i got a rash, after a few days it became really bad and I had to go into the urgent care. The next day my doctor again switched my meds ... now I am taking Truvada, Reyataz & Norvir.

Is it normal to be switched between so many meds in less than 40 days?

-Damien

Here is the data ... let me know what you think?

Date         CD4      VL       Comment
02/23/06      302      113,000

05/01/06      441      79,200

07/31/06      326      69,200   Started Night sweats   

08/18/06      283      39,300   Genotype test ordered

09/05/06                  Started Meds:
                     Combivir & Viracept

10/06/06      309      688      Low white blood cell ct
                     2.81 (norm 3.8 - 11.1)
                     + others showing anemia

10/11/06               Changed Meds Started: Atripla
                  Stop Combivir & Viracept

10/23/06               Extreme rash
                  Changed Meds Started:
                  Truvada, Reyataz & Norvir
                  Stop Combivir & Viracept

Lis:
Hey,

I know that this is freakin you out but relax!!! i switched med 4 times in an 18 month period.... I think that i found the one i like.... Dont worry!!! We have choices now ( well sometimes!! LOL) look in the mirror and tell your self how SPECIAL that you are!!!  Hang in there!!

lisbeth

Razorbill:
My first combo lasted two and a half months.  It contained azt and I was sick as a dog.  Came off and started something else (think viracept) and was better.  So yea, it takes some playing around to get it right.

blondbeauty:
As long as you dont develop resiatance you should not worry. There is a combo for you.

J.R.E.:
Hello Damien,

When I started on meds in 2003, within two months I was switched from Zerit to Ziagen ( of which I am grateful) Shortly after that, the doctor wanted me on Trizivir. So, I tried that for 30 days, and was switched off that after 30 days, it was too difficult to work, and take that med, but I did give it my best shot.  Then of course when Epzicom became available, I switched from the separate doses of Epivir and Ziagen, because it made dosing easier.

Sometimes it takes a little work to get the right effective regemin, with the least amount of side effects.

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version