POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:57:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639373
  • Total Topics: 48534
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First set of medication help!!  (Read 412 times)

Offline Ds3191

First set of medication help!!
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
After being recently diagnosed and burying my head in the sand - I final told my parter and was prescribed some medication over a week ago I finally had the courage to take it last night however I am concerned about it . They have given me a combination of kivexa and trivicay . For the kivexa it warn that I could be hypersensitive if I experience a skin rash or 2 of the following fever , shortness of breath- I already have Athsma , vomitingn, diorreaha - had this first thing this morning. Tiredness or generally feeling I'll . As the box states this could be life threatening but under the circumstance I am worried I will not know If it's a reaction or not!! I have also read that kivexa could increase hear attack I am a smoker which my doctor knows so not sure why I have been given this . I am also concerned about the side effects eh hair loss , fat distribution etc  Sorry for ranting on I am just very unsure of all of this and generally quiet anxious about everything regarding it currently .

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: First set of medication help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:10 AM »
Prior to starting treatment with Kivexa it is standard protocol for your doctor to give you a screening test for the HLA-B*5701. This test would show if you are a patient that is hypersensitive to one of the two medications in Kivexa (abacavir).

Please contact you doctor and make sure that this test was run and that your results were negative. Also tell him/her that you are vomiting and have diarrhea, etc. and to what extent.

As far as your other concerns, I assume you reading the prescription "insert" paper which lists all possible side effects and you are freaking out -- please keep in mind it is standard for any medication (HIV or not) to list these. They are side effects found in clinical trials and generally only effected 1%, 2%, etc. of participants, so it's wildly unlikely that you will experience them. Don't allow reading this to increase your anxiety levels, but it is wise to be cognizant of the possibilities so you know when/if to contact your doctor.

It's normal to feel a bit like crap for 2-3 weeks when starting any HIV medication. This eventually clears up and you will feel more like normal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:11:13 AM by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
They had said it was negative and I should be fine I'm just worried as I wasn't feeling to good before I started them so iv no idea if it's the pills or just a knock on from not feeling well before  :-\

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
Do you know what CD4 and Viral load you have? Do you know how long you have had HIV and how has your health been recently.
I am sorry you are having a rough time starting treatment.

Don't be worried about the hair loss and fat accumulations for the near future be worried about getting used to treatment and of course finding one that is low to no side effects.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
I think my cd 4 was around 400 last time and they said my viral lode was quite low so they assume it's been there around a year - tbh iv not felt any worse I'm just more anxious than anything and stressed which I think is making me feel worse about the situation

Online mecch

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
Well you are starting from an OK place.
I am far from an expert about hypersensitivity reaction.  I had allergic reactions to some combos but never life threatening.  I would say that gastro problems could occur no matter what combo, when starting.  But you said you have "asthma" so that sounds respiratory and not great...  Fever? Rash? 
How much access do you have to your prescribing doc?
You should be in touch with this doc about any concerns you have.
You also seem somewhat unsure about how the choice of combo was made for you and you should be able to get a straight answer from the prescribing doc.
Also depending on your location, there may be a limited number of combos available, period.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
Nope no other symptoms at the moment - I don't have easy access I have been told to go back on the 25 of September to have my blood checked . They were originally going to put me on atripila I think which was one tablet but they advised it could make me more anxious .

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
They had said it was negative and I should be fine I'm just worried as I wasn't feeling to good before I started them so iv no idea if it's the pills or just a knock on from not feeling well before  :-\

So you were tested for sensitivity and it was negative.  Then you are not experiencing a hypersensitivity reaction.

You didn't feel well before starting meds and you still don't feel well so how is that the meds fault?

Your are on one of the most advanced/newest arv combos on the market.  Relax. 

Online mecch

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »
Yes Atripla would have a been a poor choice for anyone with a bit of anxiety or depression.
What exactly do you mean by "asthma"?  Maybe you are having panic just because you are freaked out by the diagnosis and finally facing up to the reality of it all.  You said this has all been stressful.
Did you get any pills or advice for dealing with stress?  Have any plans about how to reduce? Breathing? Getting outside?  Lovey dovy relax with the partner?

When I had allergic reactions to certain combos - it presented as rashes.... 

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
Iv really if I'm honest just brushed it under than carpet and tried to forgot about it now you mention rashes iv noticed everytime I am very stressed I seam to get a spotty itchy rash on my back - iv not really spoken a lot about it as it's too upsetting for me . I am generally okay but when I talk about it to people face to face I end up in floods of tears - I'm terrified if needles which doesn't help with appointments either unfortunately

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
So you were tested for sensitivity and it was negative.  Then you are not experiencing a hypersensitivity reaction.

You didn't feel well before starting meds and you still don't feel well so how is that the meds fault?

Your are on one of the most advanced/newest arv combos on the market.  Relax.
[/quot

I'm not per say blaming them but being decently diagnosed and having no experience of this can be daunting as you can unserstand

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
Yeah I get it but based on your own words we can clearly identify it's not the meds.

So, considering everything you've written it's clearly anxiety.  Relax.  Maybe you should talk to your doctor about this anxiety and see if you can start some therapy if your not already.

Offline Ds3191

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Third day of taking this combination and. Have come over very lightheaded and sickly feeling after walking home with a headache to go with it is this a concern ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.