Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Church Attendance in MSM With HIV Associated With Later Presentation for Care

(1/2) > >>

oksikoko:
Church Attendance in Men Who Have Sex With Men Diagnosed With HIV Is Associated With Later Presentation for HIV Care

Abstract: We demonstrate an interdependent relationship between sexual behavior and church attendance on timing of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) diagnosis and presentation for care. Men who have sex with men (MSM) and who attend church are more likely to present with lower CD4+ T-lymphocyte counts than MSM who do not attend church.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/05/cid.cit689.abstract

Me: Interesting. I can't read the original, but I'm guessing it has something to do with churchgoers seeing the doctor less in general. Or something.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on November 10, 2013, 08:02:47 PM ---Me: Interesting. I can't read the original, but I'm guessing it has something to do with churchgoers seeing the doctor less in general. Or something.

--- End quote ---
here was a little more about this
http://sti.bmj.com/content/89/Suppl_1/A49.1

and i'm going to guess stigma. Religious stigma keeps people not only from admitting they are gay; but even that they are having sex - straight, gay or otherwise. When you have to cover up your orientation and/or your own sexual libido then it's no wonder some people take longer to face up to their actual risks and status

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: leatherman on November 10, 2013, 09:29:50 PM ---and i'm going to guess stigma. Religious stigma keeps people not only from admitting they are gay; but even that they are having sex - straight, gay or otherwise. When you have to cover up your orientation and/or your own sexual libido then it's no wonder some people take longer to face up to their actual risks and status

--- End quote ---

Oh, good guess. Since I live in the fourth circle of hell (NYC), I forget that normal people still have things like 'shame'. I hadn't thought of that at all.

leatherman:
in the South one of the toughest opponents against prevention, education, stigma, and decent health care is religion.

I only wish it was just some kooky notion that God would take care of health care needs; instead it's hate, shame, and ignorance that keep people in the dark about their own sexuality and the risks that they have taken.

Ann:
And of course there's always the fact that many people from the evangelical community think they'll be cured if they just pray hard enough. Etay immediately comes to mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version