Main Forums > Living With HIV

Cough. Cough.

(1/7) > >>

mitch777:
I was wondering if any of you have experienced a dry cough due to high blood pressure meds.

I have been on Ramipril for years without a problem until this summer. I thought my dry cough was due to my many years of smoking (I know, bad), so I went to see my doc to get an appointment for a lung capacity test. He thought that was a good idea but said certain HB meds can cause this (ACE inhibitors), but thought it unlikely that this symptom would appear after this much time. He said I could try not taking Ramipril for a month to see what happens.

Well, after about a week the cough has diminished 80%! (still no good excuse to keep lighting up...)

So it makes me wonder if my body has become more sensitive to this med after all of these years due to hiv.

Just another most likely unanswerable question. ::)

newt:
ACE inhibitors can cause a cough.

It is also true an ACE cough after this time is unlikely, but then again not impossible.

But, smoking...and the stopping thereof, more likely reason.

- matt

mitch777:

--- Quote from: newt on November 07, 2013, 06:20:54 PM ---ACE inhibitors can cause a cough.

It is also true an ACE cough after this time is unlikely, but then again not impossible.

But, smoking...and the stopping thereof, more likely reason.

- matt

--- End quote ---

Thanks Newt/Matt but I have not stopped smoking. I guess it's I'm an odd case as usual.

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on November 07, 2013, 05:04:30 PM ---I was wondering if any of you have experienced a dry cough due to high blood pressure meds.

--- End quote ---

M,

Yes, I noticed that when I was started on 10 mg of Lisinopril, that as time went on, I was developing a dry cough.

The cough seems to happen when I am going to sleep ( or sleeping), or in the lying down position, very little if any coughing in my waking active hours.

I take the lisinopril @ work @ midnight 5 days a week. When I get home to go to sleep is when I get the cough. It's not always persistent though.

I also need to mention this to my primary care when I see her in December.

Ray

J.R.E.:

PS....  I also take 25 MG of Hydrochlorothiazide @midnight ( which until I see my primary I am cutting in half for six months or so now).  Never had cough issues with this medication. The doctor had me cut this in half while starting on the Lisinopril, until I see her in December.

Also, I don't smoke, and haven't for quite a number of years.

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version