POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 03:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650552
  • Total Topics: 49673
  • Online Today: 195
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Concerned about recent exposure  (Read 1107 times)

Offline anonymous907

• Standard
Concerned about recent exposure
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a little concerned about a recent exposure (last night) and wanted to solicit your feedback.

I'm a late 20s white heterosexual male who recently had protected vaginal sex with a late 20s white heterosexual female of unknown status. She tested negative a year ago, but has had unprotected sex with a single partner since then, so the status is unknown. I know the majority of her sexual partners and it seems low risk given my personal knowledge of their backgrounds (no IV drug use, that kind of thing) but there's always a possibility so I won't speculate.

After intercourse and removing the condom, I noticed blood on the condom and on my person (base of penis, stomach, thighs, etc.) She experienced a decent amount of vaginal bleeding during intercourse which neither of us realized until we had finished.

After removing the condom, she touched/grabbed hold of my penis with what we later found out was a hand that had blood on it from previously touching herself. This happened for about 10 minutes or so. So, upon going to the bathroom, I found blood on my stomach, thighs, and on the underside of my penis. There was no blood at the tip of my penis, it only extended half way up on the underside.

Four days prior to the incident, I accidentally caused a small cut at the base of my penis (about the width of a grain of rice or so). This area was right where the condom stopped. The cut appears to have healed and I did not notice any blood on it last night, but it's certainly possible that there was and I didn't notice it (there was a significant amount of pinkish blood on the bed.)

I've been extremely stressed about the incident since then and my body is seeming to ache all over from what I would imagine is stress and anxiety. When I woke up this morning I was fine, but when I started reading into the situation more, particularly with exposure, I started to feel a light, dull pain in my neck which caused my anxiety and stress to go into overdrive.

The pain is mostly on the left side of the neck (although there's a slight presence of the pain on the right side, much more dull and barely noticeable) and seems like it's in the thyroid area (it extends from the bottom of my neck bone about half way down my neck - it's a dull pain, very slightly painful the touch, and seems to present as tenderness in the entire thyroid almost down to my collar bone), but I can't recall ever really having a swollen lymph node so I'm not sure what it's supposed to feel like if that's the case. Reading on multiple sites about swollen lymph nodes being one of the first tell tale signs of HIV infection is certainly causing me to stress even more so. Would a lymph node start to swell, if that's the case here, 12 hours later or would this be better explained with extreme anxiety and stress that I know I'm placing on my body by freaking out about his exposure? For what it's worth, this has also appeared to shoot up into my ear and down my back a bit (upper back, shoulders, etc.) and is accompanied by a headache which leads me to think stress/anxiety, but I thought I'd mention it.

The incident happened last night. I realize I'm still within the nPEP window - should I go down that path given the above information? Also, would other types of STDs cause the swelling I'm experiencing? I want to tell myself it's me freaking myself out and causing my body to work overtime,

Sorry for the long winded rant, I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Thanks for everything you guys do here. This is a fantastic site.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Concerned about recent exposure
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
From what you describe, you did not have a risk as you used condoms for penetrative sex.  Once HIV is exposed to the air, it becomes unable to infect.  You used a condom and the presence of blood is not a cause for concern.  You also cannot tell anything about your status, based on any symptoms and I suspect what you are experiencing right now is more anxiety based.

If you find your symptoms troublesome, you should contact your doctor, as it has nothing to do with HIV.

Joe

Offline anonymous907

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:00:58 PM »
Joe,

Thank you for the reply. Should I be concerned that the cut on my penis was just past where the condom stopped, meaning it very well could have been exposed during intercourse?  That's really my main concern at this point: a fresh cut (four days old) that could have been exposed to blood during intercourse.

Thank you so much!

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
You did not have a risk, no matter how many ways you want to look at it.  HIV cannot survive outside of the host, and a cut, that is four days old is not a fresh cut, so no risk there.  Stop looking for risk where none exists.

Joe

Offline anonymous907

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
Thank you, sir. I really appreciate your time and help!

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »
Thank you, sir. I really appreciate your time and help!

You are most welcome.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.