POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 11:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24257
  • Latest: baw420
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649872
  • Total Topics: 49600
  • Online Today: 187
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 150
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi first time poster.  (Read 1855 times)

Offline newtome

Hi first time poster.
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
Hi.  First time poster.  Found out July 11, 2014.   Thanks so much for this forum!!  Have been lurking until now. 

Hi, NEWBIT, from your kindred of the same name day. 

Question -- my VL was 12737 and Cd4 737.  I think I had acute infection symptoms beginning of January.  Any insight on what these numbers could possibly tell me about how long I have been carrying this around?  I think the answer is either not long or for sometime.  If the latter, I have guilt feelings.  Prior to July 11, 2014 I did two Ora quick test about six weeks apart both negative in July and August 2012. 

I have been trying to cull research from the web, but don't want to relearn logarithms.

I know that these are good numbers.  I started on Truvada Tivicay five days ago.

Just curious about my numbers and what they mean, if no morning can be gleaned from them que sera sera.

Thanks again for this great resource.  It is help many lurkers get through an incredibly emotional and desperate time.

Offline YellowFever

Re: Hi first time poster.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're here but glad you found us. The short answer about your numbers is that they are good. Especially since you're now on meds. The question of when you got the disease and presumably whether you've passed on the virus is harder to answer. You might have been positive since June 2012. There's nothing to feel guilty about if you have not knowingly transmitted the virus. and you wouldn't be alone.  This epidemic is largely driven by positive people who do not know they are positive!
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415(15%)
04/2013 CD4 457(15%)
10/2013 CD4 520 (20%) VL 650 (wtf?)
02/2014 CD4 410(20%) VL 390 (yay!)
08/2014 CD4 580(?%)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:56:17 AM »
Welcome to the forums.  It is good you know your status and are getting care.  As for how long, that would be very difficult to determine.  If you've had previous negative tests, that can give a timeline.  With your two negative results, it would appear the infection occurred sometime after that. 

The good thing is you know now and are in care.  All the best and keep in touch.

Ted

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Hi.  First time poster.  Found out July 11, 2014.   Thanks so much for this forum!!  Have been lurking until now. 

Hi, NEWBIT, from your kindred of the same name day. 

Question -- my VL was 12737 and Cd4 737.  I think I had acute infection symptoms beginning of January.  Any insight on what these numbers could possibly tell me about how long I have been carrying this around?  I think the answer is either not long or for sometime.  If the latter, I have guilt feelings.  Prior to July 11, 2014 I did two Ora quick test about six weeks apart both negative in July and August 2012. 

I have been trying to cull research from the web, but don't want to relearn logarithms.

I know that these are good numbers.  I started on Truvada Tivicay five days ago.

Just curious about my numbers and what they mean, if no morning can be gleaned from them que sera sera.

Thanks again for this great resource.  It is help many lurkers get through an incredibly emotional and desperate time.

ojo   que sera, que sera,your numbers are great and they will get even better with treatment....I wonder what kind of symptoms you had in Januqry (seroconvesion)...good luck   sera lo que sera     ojo

Offline POS07-11-2014

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Hey Newtome....

I like that we have a special connection, but wish it wasnt the day we found out that we are positive.

It has been a roller coaster so far and I am kind of jealous that you are already on meds. It looks like I will not start until 8/13, which is when my next appointment is with my infections disease doctor (or nurse practitioner). That is also when they expect to have the genotyping done on my virus strain to prescribe the most effective meds.

Comparitively, I think your numbers are great. My viral load is/was 312,736 and my CD4 count is 276. I had two negative tests in March and then two positive tests (using Ora-quick mouth saliva test) in late May. I got my official diagnosis confirmed on 7-11 from the doctor.

My symptoms was chronic diarrhea and also the suspected positive oraquick tests that made me go and get checked out (the line was so very faint that i doubted the positive test).

It is great to have someone to discuss all of this with. I have not told ANYONE in my life and it is a nice releif to be able to talk to someone about it in such a protected annonymous environment.

Thanks,

Thomas

Questionable event in March
Tested pos with Oraquick 5-17-2014
Positive confirmed on 7-11-2014
7-19-2014 cd4 276 cd4% 9 vl 312,735
Started Stribild 8-15-2014
Allergic reaction identified, stopped Stribild 9-9-2014
Saw ID, started Atripla 9-17-2014
11-12-2014 cd4 447 cd4% 17 vl 326

Offline newtome

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
Hi Thomas --

I'm so sorry you feel alone.  I felt like that too, initially.  Wasn't sure what to do, who to tell, scared about work finding out -- the whole shebang.  What I decided was this.  I had to tell someone who was close to me and that I trusted.  So I decided on two people who are strong and would want to protect me.  One is my best friend.  The other is a confident who is older, opinionated and tough as nails.  We are good friends but not the kind that talk everyday. 

When I told each of them I broke and the words, "I'm so alone," kept pouring from my mouth between the uncontrollable heaving and deep, long sobs.  From the two conversations I realized that 1) my perception of being alone and deep belief that this was true were wrong and 2) it was incredibly important to me at leads that someone knew I was struggling.  I also realized the extent to which how I viewed myself was effected by years of societal stigma and hiding and everything that goes with growing up homo in rural areas.  In a way it was a cleansing experience and very beneficial to my emotional well being.  So based on my experience I would say that having confidants in this journey is of great importance. 

Where do you live?  If you truly do not feel you have people you can confide in there are support groups.  Google them.  You probably are not alone, just need to take a well-considered leap of faith.

I'm not sure about when I seroconverted.  I had flu like symptoms and laryngitis for three weeks in January.  But who knows.  My doc said we may have caught it early.  Then again there is a 15,month window between my last test and January.

Sorry about the med issue.  I decided and was fortunate enough to start pretty quickly, although waiting for labs felt like an eternity.  During that time I felt I was just oozing virus.  But I am glad to get this under control as soon as possible.

Hang in there, everyone. 

NTM

Offline DallasJ

• One day at a time.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
I too found out early July (7th) and immediately told my husband.  I felt like I absolutely had to share with him regardless of my own fears.  I told my mother a week later, and again was terrified.  I haven't told anyone else, and don't feel like I have to.  My coworkers knew I was sick (missing work, doctors appointments) and saw that I lost so much weight so quickly, but I work in a very conservative office and can't imagine ever being able to confide in anyone there.  Even though I've told two people, I still feel alone.  That's why I'm here.  I don't think they can really comprehend what I'm going through, or how I feel.
My count is much worse than yours, and I am still terrified I found out too late and won't get better.  Some feelings you deal with just can't be understood by a person who is negative (in my opinion).
I just wanted you to know you aren't alone.  I'm realizing it from being here, too.  And you don't have to tell anyone until you are ready and comfortable doing so
7/7/14: tested positive
7/11/14: started Atripla
7/16/14: CD4 = 15, VL = 1,100,000
8/27/14: CD4 = 46, VL = 210
10/29/14: CD4 = 30, VL = 120

Offline drewm

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
Decent numbers! Welcome to the forums  :D
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

ATRIPLA - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline newtome

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
Hi all.  On Truvada Tivicay went from VL of 12,500 to UD in about three weeks.  I know my VL was low. I have no side effects.  Tivicay works. 

Best,

NTM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.