POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23759
  • Latest: JV
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643212
  • Total Topics: 48939
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 172
Total: 176

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed - Regular Blood Tests?  (Read 626 times)

Offline TheDancingCookie

• All will be well.
Newly Diagnosed - Regular Blood Tests?
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »
I was diagnosed in June, probably infected earlier this year.

I've had one CD4 and viral load test and nothing ordered since. See doctor again end of this month. No tests ordered ahead of that appointment. This has surprised me.

What tests should I be getting and how frequently? Am I being OCD about this?

Offline tednlou2

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Regular Blood Tests?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:52:49 AM »
Dr. Gallant recently did a rundown of tests and vaccines.  I hope I don't overload you with info.  I thought this was a good complied list.  If you have questions about any of these things, most here can answer.  I don't think you're being OCD, by wanting to know what tests and how often.  That's educating yourself.  I am not sure your age, so a few of these won't apply to you, if you're younger. 

LAB TESTS:
Viral load every 3-6 months, depending on how long you’ve been undetectable.

CD4 count frequency depends on how high it is.  At 350-500 it should be checked at least once a year; above 500 testing is optional.

Sexually transmitted disease monitoring depends on the kind of sex and frequency of sex you’re having.  In most cases, we check a syphilis test at least every year. You should also be checked for gonorrhea and chlamydia if you’re sexually active.  If you’re having anal and oral sex, that means a urine test, a throat swab, and a rectal swab.

Fasting lipid panel  and fasting glucose (or hemoglobin A1C): usually done yearly, or more often if you have high cholesterol or diabetes.

Chemistry panel: generally ordered whenever you get a viral load.

Urinalysis: at least yearly if you’re taking a regimen that includes tenofovir (Viread, Truvada, Atripla, Complera, Stribild).

Hepatitis A serology: HAV total antibody at baseline to find out whether you’re immune, and again after vaccination to see if it worked.

Hepatitis B serologies: HBsAg at baseline to find out whether you have chronic hepatitis B, and HBsAb to find out whether you’re immune. Repeat HBsAb after vaccination to see if it worked.

Hepatitis C antibody: At baseline to find out if you’re infected, and periodically if you’re at risk of infection (injection drug use or high-risk receptive anal sex).

HIV genotype: At diagnosis, and whenever you have a viral load above 500 on treatment.

HLA B*5701: If you intend to take a regimen that includes abacavir (Ziagen, Trizivir, Epzicom).

HIV tropism assay: If you intend to take Selzentry.

Toxoplasma IgG antibody: At baseline

Anal Pap smear: now recommended for HIV+ gay/bisexual men or for people with anal/genital warts or women with cervical dysplasia.

Colonoscopy: because you’re over 50.

DXA (bone density scan): now recommended if you have HIV and are over 50.

PSA: Somewhat controversial, but some still recommend it when you’re over 50.

IMMUNIZATIONS:

Flu shot: every fall

Pneumovax: twice, 5 years apart

Prevnar 13: once

Hepatitis A vaccine: A two-shot series over 6 months if you’re not immune (negative HAV total antibody)

Hepatitis B vaccine: A 3-shot series over 6 months if you’re not immune (negative HBsAb)

Shingles vaccine (Zostavax); Recommended if your CD4 count is over 200 and you’re over 60, and sometimes given if you’re over 50.

HPV vaccine (Gardasil): if you’re 26 or under.

http://hivforum.tumblr.com/page/2

Offline TheDancingCookie

• All will be well.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:12:43 AM »
Not overload - that is very useful and appreciated. Thanks very much.   :)

Offline Poppy33

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
Just wondering if any of these vaccines that u mention have side affects?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.