Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

I just tested Poz

<< < (2/7) > >>

tednlou2:
I'm sorry to hear your confirmation test was poz.  Keep in touch here.  This is a great site for knowledge and support. 

I wish you all the best as you process this and begin this journey. 

Ted

Go Forward:
The consulting doctor at the Red Cross suggested I check CD4 and viral loads when I get to Australia. I asked about Hep C. He said the test takes a week thus I should get that checked out in Australia too.

I know what this will look like: After most of my adult life in Asia I only return to Australia because I want to sponge off the state to pay my medical bills. Of course what I really wanted was a new lifestyle of self-sufficiency in a small coastal town. Maybe I can still do that but I foresee regular trips to the big smoke for check ups.

As a matter of interest I asked the doc what the average costs of HIV treatment were in Thailand. He said 3,000 Baht (about 100 US) per month. I asked if he knew what they were in Australia. He said it was free. I know it's heavily subsidised; not free.

Does anyone know?

buginme2:

--- Quote from: Go Forward on October 22, 2013, 12:17:39 AM ---

As a matter of interest I asked the doc what the average costs of HIV treatment were in Thailand. He said 3,000 Baht (about 100 US) per month. I asked if he knew what they were in Australia. He said it was free. I know it's heavily subsidised; not free.

Does anyone know?

--- End quote ---

If you were to pay the full retail price most HIV drug combos run approximately $2000 US per month.  The reason they are so inexpensive in Thailand is because drug companies are offering generic versions of many HIV medications before the patent expiration in low income countries, such as Thailand.  Generics are not authorized in most Western countries until the full patent expires.  Atripla, which is usually the first medication prescribed in many countries runs about $1800 full price and will not be available as a generic in western countries until after 2017.  However, it is being prescribed less  and less as there are now newer medications with less side effects.

Most people in the US and Europe and Australia are prescribed new medications that have only been available for a year or two or three.  They are pretty pricey.

Go Forward:
Thanks buginme.

Are there any Poz Forum members in Australia? I would like to pick their brains.

Go Forward:
I don't think it has sunk in yet. I haven't cried. I haven't wallowed in sadness. The news crosses my mind regularly, but just about all that it stimulates is thoughts of simple treatment regimens and imminent cures. The only thing I have been worrying about is if/when/how I tell anyone about my status, especially my parents.

I'm not in denial. Just about the first thing I did after my first poz test was search the web for a support forum like this one and then I started this thread. And in spare minutes between chores and spare hours before I sleep I have been reading stuff about HIV/AIDS and watching YouTube clips about it.

I have had such a string of bad luck in recent years that maybe I've become desensitised to personal drama. Or maybe the news has simply levelled out what otherwise would have been a manic phase for me. A crash could be imminent. I don't know.

I might as well be asexual now. Sex hasn't crossed my mind since the first test. Indeed I cringe at the thought of it. I will absolutely NOT put anyone else at risk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version