Main Forums > Living With HIV

"hiv neg" guys wanting to top undetectable poz, bareback ?????

<< < (5/5)

toki427:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on September 30, 2013, 06:37:14 PM ---Out of curiosity, do theyhave these conversations in the women's forum? If so, do they differ in tone?

Is it commonly called barebacking when straight people do it?

--- End quote ---

Hi jkinatl, not to impinge upon your experience, but wasn't the Swiss study only conducted among heterosexual couples? Although it is "sex" either way in the social sense of the word, it is known that unprotected anal sex is riskier than unprotected vaginal sex due to the lining of the anus being a lot more susceptible to tearing than the vagina. In fact, isn't it true that many (if not most) of the studies that try to quantify the risk of unprotected sex amongst serodiscordant people pretty much pertain to heterosexual couples in monogamous relationships?

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: toki427 on September 30, 2013, 10:37:08 PM ---Hi jkinatl, not to impinge upon your experience, but wasn't the Swiss study only conducted among heterosexual couples? Although it is "sex" either way in the social sense of the word, it is known that unprotected anal sex is riskier than unprotected vaginal sex due to the lining of the anus being a lot more susceptible to tearing than the vagina. In fact, isn't it true that many (if not most) of the studies that try to quantify the risk of unprotected sex amongst serodiscordant people pretty much pertain to heterosexual couples in monogamous relationships?

--- End quote ---

This is absolutely accurate, both regarding the scope of the studies and the difference between the anal tissue/mucosa and the vaginal tissue mucosa.

There are a couple of studies about the rectal mucosa, and some findings suggest that concentrations of HIV in the rectal mucosa ar higher and more accessible/omnipresent than HIV in the cervovaginal mucosa. Some HIV meds penetrate the genital area more thoroughly than others, notably tenofovir. darunavir and etravirine (Truvada, Prezista, and Intelence).

Penetrative anal and vaginal sex are indeed two different animals. And it is important to recognise that fact.

Now studies which have indicated higher concentration of viable HIV in rectal mucosa as opposed to cervical mucosa do not, and seem to be unable to determine exactly HOW much higher these concentrations tend to be, whether the viral particles are viable, and what, exactly is the threshold for transmission.

My comment was to indicate that anal sex among gay man seems to contain a stigma and perception that seems notto be present among heterosexuals, even those who participate in anal sex.

This information can assist people who might be in committed magnetic relationships when the positive partner is the receptive partner in anal sex. It might, resistance and side-effect issues notwithstanding* help determine the drugs the positive person decides to take in order to accomodate unprotected anal sex once an undetectable vial load is achieved.

I simply find it ironic that we place what appears to me to be a weighted value on gay males who make the same informed decision that heterosexual couples make. The important thing, obviously is to make certain that information is accurate and valid.

To reference the OP, I admit that I have doubts regarding the depth of knowledge that is often used to make what may well ultimately end up being regrettable decisions.

sources:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158861

http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/fall-2011/exposure-infection-biology-hiv-transmission

*I understand that you can't and shouldn't dismiss the very important aspects of treatment choices, which include efficacy and side-effects issues. However, the three drugs I mentioned seem to be among the best tolerated of the current crop of meds.

JungleJungle:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on September 30, 2013, 08:35:00 PM ---I'm no anthropologist, but I believe they call it "sex". ;)

--- End quote ---

True. I am fully bisexual and had ton of sexual dates both with man or women...
In my personal experience men are divided in groups:
people asking obsessively barebacking sex
People who just did not care enough about safe sex
People using properly condoms and still having fun
People obsessed by condoms and not having fun
...women are divided in:
Condoms? Do you think i am a bitch?
Condoms? I have not...have you got 'em?

Seriously, i was joking and really do not want to seems misogenous, but only met a few women in my sexual like that were careful about safe sex.
Just my personal experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version