Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Anyone Have Bipolar? I Think I Might

<< < (2/5) > >>

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: RobbyR on September 27, 2013, 04:39:37 PM ---Lordy tho, that Complera was a terrible pill for me, it gave me BAD insomnia & terrible depression. But Atripla works great! I'm hoping to ditch the paxil I take now and try Zoloft which is a bit more activating maybe with some type of mood stabilizer if my psych thinks it necessary.

--- End quote ---

Take this with a grain of salt and do talk to your psychiatrist. Zoloft has been accused of triggering mania in the bipolar. It certainly did in me. Among many other things, during my short stint on it, I became a rugby player for God's sake. No shit.

http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Zoloft

"While Zoloft is no more likely to trigger mania than any other SSRI, due to that dopaminergic kick the symptoms it triggers are a lot worse. Zoloft just gets you way more agitated and sets of these nasty dysphoric manias in the bipolar, which can be a very harsh way to discover that one is bipolar. With the other SSRIs and SNRIs itís a coin toss as to whether theyíll trigger euphoric manias that will send you on spending sprees or marrying people you just meet, or trigger dysphoric manias that make you destroy all the furniture in a room. But with Zoloft the odds are heavily in favor of the dysphoric mania. That may be why the poor little Zoloft lozenge quit shilling Zoloft so heavily for depression, and now primarily touts its efficacy for social anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD, and PMDD. Then again it could be that Zoloft is just testing better in studies for its other approved uses. In any event, thatís you need to be extra careful with Zoloft, more than most others antidepressants, when it comes to watching out for suicidal thoughts and behavior."

RobbyR:
Thanks for the heads-up about Zoloft okisoko, a friend of mine has Bipolar II and told me he takes it with a mood stabilizer and it seems to work ok but you make good points. I certainly don't need more mania. Rugby, huh? Did you at least have fun while it lasted?  ;) For me, mania or hypomania when I experience it is like either being so sexual I can barely keep my dick in my pants, or obsessively cleaning the house & scrubbing floors until I can't see straight. It's totally exhausting. Not aware of it usually while it happens, but when it subsides, I'm like wow, no wonder I'm so damn tired, I just had an intense manic phase. I'm also starting to get these paranoid delusions of people following me or out to get me which kind of concerns me.

I'll just ask my psych. Maybe I should avoid Zoloft or all ssri's. I have heard some say they can take one with a mood stabilizer and do okay though.

One last thing..Awhile back, I took some Trazodone for a night or two, to help me sleep through an insomnia phase, & I noticed it gave me intense euphoria/sociability/manic feelings for several days. It's an older anti depressant but the side effects I had on it really seemed through the roof. It was then I started to realize I may be having mania. I've already had a couple of intense manic phases on paxil. Starting to realize that my issues were much deeper than just anxiety all along!

phillypinko:
Dude If you were high on drugs for weeks at a time you may want to check out a 12 step program. Just a hunch.

RobbyR:

--- Quote from: phillypinko on September 27, 2013, 10:56:23 PM ---Dude If you were high on drugs for weeks at a time you may want to check out a 12 step program. Just a hunch.

--- End quote ---

I never said I was high on anything for weeks at a time. I've been clean for four years. And you, "dude", may want to check your judgmental attitude at the door. Just a hunch!

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: phillypinko on September 27, 2013, 10:56:23 PM ---Dude If you were high on drugs for weeks at a time you may want to check out a 12 step program. Just a hunch.

--- End quote ---

While I'm all for keeping all therapeutic options open, bear in mind it's not uncommon for a bipolar person (if that's the case here) to go on a weeklong binge of this or that without actually being addicted to this or that. The problem is not the substance, but rather the substance is a symptom of the mania and is interchangeable with any other substance - or non-substance. Sex, gambling and drag racing can suffice in a pinch. A 12-step program would address all the wrong things in that case and would ultimately probably not be of any help.

Or not. Amphetamine dependency can also mirror certain aspects of bipolar disorder. A professional can work all these details out with the OP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version