Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

AIDS to HIV

<< < (2/3) > >>

2tcells:
and from what i understand when your above 200 cd4 count you dont have "aids"...meaning your risk of oppertunistic illness is low. but my dr. says they dont use the word aids anymore anyways

darryaz:

--- Quote from: 2tcells on September 25, 2013, 10:39:47 PM ---my dr. says they dont use the word aids anymore anyways

--- End quote ---

I believe "Advanced HIV disease" is the current term.

oksikoko:
There are two ways to get an AIDS diagnosis: low t-cells (or t-cell percentage relative to total lymphocytes) OR getting one of the AIDS-defining opportunistic infections.

My understanding is that once you have an AIDS diagnosis (or stage three HIV disease or whatever) you have it for life, even if your T-cells improve or if you recover from whatever opportunistic infection gave you the diagnosis.

While this sounds psychologically irritating, it is actually beneficial since having that label can help with certain social/government benefits that a person with advanced HIV may need whether or not his/her t-cells climb back up to 201.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Schnauzer:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on September 26, 2013, 05:23:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Unless something has changed recently, you are correct.

2tcells:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on September 26, 2013, 05:23:07 PM ---There are two ways to get an AIDS diagnosis: low t-cells (or t-cell percentage relative to total lymphocytes) OR getting one of the AIDS-defining opportunistic infections.

My understanding is that once you have an AIDS diagnosis (or stage three HIV disease or whatever) you have it for life, even if your T-cells improve or if you recover from whatever opportunistic infection gave you the diagnosis.

While this sounds psychologically irritating, it is actually beneficial since having that label can help with certain social/government benefits that a person with advanced HIV may need whether or not his/her t-cells climb back up to 201.

--- End quote ---

That sucks i wanted to have hiv lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version