Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

AIDS to HIV

<< < (3/3)

mecch:
I'm sure you can have "the AIDS" if it pleases you. With the "the" and all the trimmings.

Most of the HIV- public (besides doctors, social benefits bureaus, and insurance companies) doesn't finesse these labels.  Though in recent years I have notice the balance shifting, in the media, to reporters and journalists being more aware than not that there IS a complex and diverse, not uniform, experience of people living with HIV. 

aaware72:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on September 26, 2013, 05:23:07 PM ---There are two ways to get an AIDS diagnosis: low t-cells (or t-cell percentage relative to total lymphocytes) OR getting one of the AIDS-defining opportunistic infections.

My understanding is that once you have an AIDS diagnosis (or stage three HIV disease or whatever) you have it for life, even if your T-cells improve or if you recover from whatever opportunistic infection gave you the diagnosis.

While this sounds psychologically irritating, it is actually beneficial since having that label can help with certain social/government benefits that a person with advanced HIV may need whether or not his/her t-cells climb back up to 201.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

--- End quote ---

Hmm...I asked this question of my ID when I first found out.  I had two opportunistic infection at the time of diagnosis with a CD4 count of 230.  He told me that that use to use the 200 CD4 as the difference between AIDS and HIV.  However he said that that is not longer used.  I'm confused.   I will always have HPV and my ID say I may recover from mild case of ADC? 

wolfter:
Once you have an AIDS diagnosis, you always have it.  It means you've acquired and immune disease. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version