Main Forums > Living With HIV

Stephen Crohn, "Man Who Can't Catch AIDS" Commited Suicide

(1/2) > >>

socalpoz:
Hey Sharing this from Queerty. Stephen Crohn, "Man Who Can't Catch AIDS" Commited Suicide Out of Survivor's Guilt. I didn't know anything about this man, a very sad story and makes me want to learn more, especially his contribution to breakthroughs on HIV.

http://www.queerty.com/the-gay-man-who-cant-catch-aids-commited-suicide-out-of-survivors-guilt-20130916/

weasel:

Hi socalpoz  ,
                                 That is indeed a sad ending to a great Man .
      Unfortunately  Survivors guilt happens to us common folk too.
       I have known several people who have decided to end their
  lives after partners have died .

Be well ,    Weasel

P.s. Having lost 5 friends this year , I ask myself why am I still going strong ?
      I pray morning and night my health stays as good as it is .   

wolfter:
I never understood the emotions/actions behind this mindset.  It was only in recent years (mostly after joining these forums) that I've come to realize that I've been suffering from this for years.

It became a way of life to watch and witness so many loved ones dying.  When I lost the other Gregg, it was like someone did a lobotomy on me.  I literally had no feelings left.  I was numb for the longest time.  He and I were besties since grade school.  Many people thought we were a couple because of the bond we had.   I can never erase the horrid image of him the last time I saw him before his passing.

He was the most gorgeous person I've ever known.  Both physically and personally.  I was always the sickly one and I guess we both figured I'd exit first.  He always did everything to extreme and I guess he did so with exit.  You'd think after almost 20 years that I'd let this ease up, but I think of him several times a day as I do many of the others.

Suddenly, it was just Bill and I left.  I guess in many ways, we were constantly aware of that.  When he became sick and died quickly, I was out of this world lost.  I can't even describe it correctly.  I became an auto-pilot person who was simply doing the motions of living.

I made the decision to join them.  I actually became happy for a while knowing my grief would soon end.  I wasn't fortunate enough to pass quickly. 

Sorry, now I'm rambling.  This is just a very personal and emotional topic. 

Wolfie

socalpoz:
Weasel & Wolfie thank you so much for sharing! In reading your posts they brought me to tears as I remember my friends I had lost in the 80's. I guess I have been so fortunate due to the advances in medication to have not lost anymore friends to HIV/AIDS, and a bit naive to forget the realness of survivor's guilty. I am sorry for your losses!
I am so thankful to this forum as it helps me deal with my diagnosis! Best wishes to you my friends!

weasel:

--- Quote from: socalpoz on September 17, 2013, 03:33:30 PM ---Weasel & Wolfie thank you so much for sharing! In reading your posts they brought me to tears as I remember my friends I had lost in the 80's. I guess I have been so fortunate due to the advances in medication to have not lost anymore friends to HIV/AIDS, and a bit naive to forget the realness of survivor's guilty. I am sorry for your losses!
I am so thankful to this forum as it helps me deal with my diagnosis! Best wishes to you my friends!

--- End quote ---

socalpoz  ,   We're not alone here on loosing friends . Never think anyone here is not here for the same
thing you came for ! We need to know that we are part of a bigger picture . Sometimes that picture is not so
pretty , often it is a wonderful view !
   I can look back and KNOW who the man was that gave me HIV , later , much much much later to turn to AIDS  :o
 It makes no difference now . why should it !    30 years has passed , He is long dead , I've had a great life . Better than most .  Not rich by any means , But we sure as Hell live way better than the average couple does . I do with out NOTHING !    Maybe having a loving Husband , although jealous as they come , I'm treated to what ever my whims may be  :-X   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version