Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Monthly Injections

(1/5) > >>

Delby:
Not sure whether this has been posted, but GSK is developing a monthly injection which has had success with their trial patients and would carry significantly less side effects.

The story can be found here:

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/health_fitness/hiv_aids//148895/gsk_tries_to_control_hiv_with_monthly_injections

Matts:
So is this the future? Getting four times a year an injection of the Dolutegravir-like  GSK744 and Rilpivirine. I wonder why Edurant works as nanoinjection for 3 months and the Complera user need a high fat meal every day to make it work.

mecch:
That will be pretty bizarre when they have to price one injection at the same price as 3 or 4 months a pill...    ;D 8) ???
All those little pills someone make the price a little less scandalous, cause it looks like a fair amount of medicine, in 3 bottles.

buginme2:
Monthly injections are a big step not only in the convenience aspect of treatment (one injection a month/quarter versus daily pills) but currently there are no alternatives to treatment if you can't take a pill.   If you can't swallow a pill your kinda screwed right now.

Jmarksto:

--- Quote from: Matts on September 11, 2013, 11:56:02 AM ---So is this the future? Getting four times a year an injection of the Dolutegravir-like  GSK744 and Rilpivirine. I wonder why Edurant works as nanoinjection for 3 months and the Complera user need a high fat meal every day to make it work.

--- End quote ---

Matts: my understanding is that the nano-injection formulation is 100% crystallized drug which does not have to go through an absorption process through the digestive system which requires the high fat meal.  Here is the ppt presentation from IAS:

pag.ias2013.org/PAGMaterial/PPT/244_392/final.pptx‎

The question I have is that this is a two drug combo rather than the conventional three drug combo - is this two drug combo going to be sufficient?  If so, the fact that a two drug combo works seems like as much of a big deal as the fact that is a monthly injection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version