Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

You've lost weight

<< < (2/9) > >>

moxieinme:
Ok, whew, it's a relief to hear you guys out there know what I'm talking about.

People in my local community, where I moved after my most difficult years of HIV, all see me as very active and healthy, and I get admiring comments for both, which is nice at 50+ and LTS poz. When I do come out to people about my status, invariably the response is "I'd never have guessed." (Yes, we can discuss THAT reaction at length some time...)

But I have been through the years of worrying about wasting and nutrition. I did have the awful lipoatrohy side effects; that was the last period when at every turn I'd see people and they'd remark how I'd lost weight. I did have some slight work done years back to minimize some of the facial changes. This was important because I do public appearances and the psychological impact of body image was an obstacle to, or at least a drag on, doing what I love. Like I said, I've done well taking care of myself and conquered many of those fears.

And of course aging plays its role too, and now it's likely many of the changes are indistinguishable from the natural changes we all experience. That may explain why my HIV-related changes are most noticeable to me and not others.

But this recent spate of weight loss comments just took be by surprise, not least by my own internal reaction and the triggering of insecurities I discover I still carry.

Another reminder that some of our scars are deep and lingering.

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: moxieinme on September 09, 2013, 08:38:52 AM ---
Anyone ever experience this?

--- End quote ---

Oh yes !! Even now, on occasion some people will say that to me.  Actually, I monitor my weight, every week, and it's always consistent.  It's my face and neck that are looking kind of scrawny these days.

My other favorite is when, someone will say,  " you look tired" .  That bothers me even more.

Ray

moxieinme:

--- Quote from: J.R.E. on September 09, 2013, 04:19:28 PM ---My other favorite is when, someone will say,  " you look tired" .  That bothers me even more.

--- End quote ---

Ha ha! Yup, that's it!

Thanks Ray.

mitch777:

--- Quote from: moxieinme on September 09, 2013, 05:40:06 PM ---
Ha ha! Yup, that's it!

Thanks Ray.

--- End quote ---

I don't get the "you lost weight" comment (I've always been thin) but I do get the "you look tired" comment quite a bit. It's usually true at the time but it sometimes gets to me depending on who says it.

PS- Moxie, just curious as to your height and weight. Nosey me. ???

moxieinme:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on September 09, 2013, 05:50:10 PM ---I don't get the "you lost weight" comment (I've always been thin) but I do get the "you look tired" comment quite a bit. It's usually true at the time but it sometimes gets to me depending on who says it.

PS- Moxie, just curious as to your height and weight. Nosey me. ???

--- End quote ---
Oh gosh, it's just like an online profile. I could pose as anyone. Hmmm....nah.

Of course I don't mind. These forums are all about brutal honesty, right?

I am 5'7.5" (OK 5'8" for most purposes) and currently with recent extra pounds lost (assuming from surgery) about 168-170. I was in the low 180s for a while up to December, down to 172 as of August after new cardio routine and several very active months.

I've had a relatively stocky build most of my adult life and used to be more filled-out pre 2000. Regular strength training so that combined with lipo issues leads me to believe I have a low body fat ratio. However, as I mentioned I have had reported deep body fat issues related to lipodystrophy. That also means I worry I have less to work with if I do keep losing weight.

That was probably more info than you were looking for, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version