Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Vaccine to prevent dieases for POZ people

(1/4) > >>

atripla_2013:
Hi,

I hope to have your idea about vaccine The 2 sources state that: "the positive patient are recommended and should take the vaccine"

http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/recommended_immunizations_fs_en.pdf
http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4041.pdf

How do you think about take in the following vaccines?
Anyone has doctor`s instruction and experience about taking the following vaccines?

1. Influenza ----> (Flu)
2. Polysaccharide pneumococcal (PCV13, PPSV23) --->(Pneumonia)
3. Tetanus, Diphtheria,and Pertussis (Tdap,Td) ---> (Lockjaw, Diphtheria, Pertussis)
4. Haemophilus influenzae type B ---> (Bacterial meningitis)

Please advise

socalpoz:
I would recommend consulting your ID doctor, certain vaccines are highly recommended to people who are immune compromised. Prior to HIV diagnosis I always got my yearly flu shot, and remember the one year I didn't and got the flu I was sick for weeks. I will disclose that I now work in healthcare (TDAP and FLU is required), but due to being around others who are sick I also asked for the Pneumonia Vaccine as well.

socalpoz:
I should have added live vaccines can be a big problem for immune compromised people. A healthy recipent of the vaccine is key and regardless hould be watched by your doctor. My doctor agreed  to give me the pneumonia vaccination because I was in good health. As a bonus most ID doc can administer all these vaccines during a routine visit.

atripla_2013:
Thank you for your sharing.

Up to now, my doctor only recommend me to take flu vaccine on this coming Oct.

How about taking in vaccine Pneumonia Vaccine? Is there any special advice?

J.R.E.:
Hi,..

I'm with socalpoz on this,  this is something you need to consult with your doctor about.

Having said that, I've been HIV positive since 1985, and had no problems receiving the following immunizations :

( most were done in the mid to late 90's, and the flu, I get annually ) some of the repeats and boosters were done after 2005.

Influenza ( every year for the past 17 years, when available, and usually late October or the beginning of November, never the nasal dose, always the shot. That will be coming up before i know it  :P CORRECTION EDIT the last 3 years of flu shots were given in September, or the first week of October. EDIT    H1N1(FLU) IN 2009.

I did the series of HEP - B (3 shots) that was around 1997. Did this through the workplace.

Ive had the pneumonia shot around 2003, but  it was repeated again due to low CD-4 count.

I've had the Tetanus and Diphtheria. ( I have also had the ten year repeat in EDIT 2009 )

Measles, Mumps, and
Rubella (MMR-----------> I had those when I was a kid. I am not far from being 62.

I never had any issues receiving any of the above vaccinations.

Whatever vaccinations you get, make sure to keep a good record of them !

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version