POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 04:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639869
  • Total Topics: 48578
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cannabis and hiv  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Homopoz

Cannabis and hiv
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Is there any benefit in taking cannabis when I am poz? Seems to me that cannabis helps in other illnesses....

Offline wolfter

Re: Cannabis and hiv
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
It can be used to lessen/ease certain conditions associated with an HIV infection.  My doctor actually recommended way back when because I felt too sick to eat most of the time.

But in general. just being positive and using it is simply recreational.

Wolfie
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline iamacandle

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
Follow-up Q:

Is it better to smoke it or add this on food (like space cakes)?

People are also talking about the effects of cannabis oil. I would like to consider that too.

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:44:51 AM »
respiratory issues are certainly a concern with us. after two bouts of pneumonia, my doctor knows i smoke but wants me to find a different method.

ingesting it can be more intense than expected even for seasoned smokers

pretty much all of the alternatives are refined and much more potent than raw plant

vaporize, wax dabble, cooking butter, extracts... proceed and be bold, but stay cautious
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Offline Since1993

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:35:11 AM »
Aside from helping to improve appetite, Cannabis also has anti-inflammatory properties.  Underlying inflammatory problems can inhibit CD4 recovery.  If you have chronic pain that is not easily relieved by other medications, it's worth trying if it improves your quality of life.  If you are concerned about the effects smoking cannabis has on the lungs, then try edibles.

Offline Almost2late

• "My disease stops with me" - Jeff G
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »
Medical weed in the south? yup, it seems that Florida will legalize it...
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy,  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D... 
http://www.fsunews.com/article/20140730/FSVIEW0102/140730006/Florida-voters-Legalize-it
Atripla, Bactrim, Azithromycin
Date         CD4's          VL
02/14     13  2.79%    228k+
03/14     52       7%       3k-
04/14     not done          2k-
05/14     184     9%       595
06/14     117     8%       235  switched off Atripla
08/14     135    10%      110  stopped Azithromycin
Tivicay, Truvada, Bactrim

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
― Dr. Seuss

“Everybody dies … The thing is, to have a life before we die.”
― John Irving, The World According to Garp

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
weed makes me horny
Lee
prezista with a kick from norvir,
Truvada, Intellence. celexa,xanax.Revolving statin

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »
I like it. It seems to help me to de-stress myself and see things in a different way. I am not keen on inhaling the smoke because it has a lot of tar in it but the edibles I tried were WAY too strong for me... I had trouble forming sentences!! It makes me horny sometimes too.
Diagnosed 1988.

Online zach

• not fade away
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
the choicest flowers are in, fine as wine smells just like summertime

i agree with 9lives, at the end of the day, i consume because it dissolves stress. any other benefit is welcomed, but thats not the primary reason i smoke. for awhile, everything is a little more gentle, it all just goes away, aids isn't such a big deal, legs don't really hurt that bad, i can hear billy laughing again, i walk a little further with bijou

but i may never backpack again, so i smoke another bowl to digest that reality. but not so much i fall down again
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Offline Delby

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
I would say cannabis is actually beneficial for sufferers of HIV for a multitude of reasons:

1. THC and certain cannabanoids are highly anti-inflammatory.
2. Cannabis can help increase appetite for those suffering from weight loss.
3. Cannabis can be very good in treating depression and anxiety.
4. Cannabis (in particular the Indica strains) can help with sleep/insomnia.

Like with everything, moderation is the key. In one study, they proved that there was no diminished lung function from those that smoked 1 joint a day for 10 years, but there was very evident deterioration of lung function from those that smoked tobacco.

I would highly advise using a vapourizer. I recently purchased one last month and now I have a vape before I go to sleep to help with my chronic insomnia. It has changed my life. I no longer need to worry about any damage to my lungs. Occasionally, usually once or twice a week, i'll smoke a joint instead, but strictly pure without any tobacco.

So like with everything in life, moderation is key. If it is interfering with your every day life and you are smoking it regularly throughout the day, then it becomes a problem. But I have found it to help with my mood, my perspective on life and my energy levels. Cannabis has extremely good medicinal qualities so don't be put off.

Delby

Offline Delby

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
Just to also add, that I disagree entirely that vaping is much stronger than smoking. When you smoke you are also inhaling impurities such as tar, carbon monoxide which also contribute to the 'stoned' feeling. Vaping doesn't combust any plant material, so you are getting about 95% of the pure THC. It is a much cleaner and much more subtle high. I prefer it. Invest in a vape...you won't look back!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.