POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631745
  • Total Topics: 47828
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 521 times)

Offline weasel

DNA testing
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »

Any of my pals here ever had their DNA   tested ?

I see advertisements from  Ancestry .com   , I would like to know

what type of mongrel   I am  :) 

Carl

P.S.   I think I am Swedish & Italian , my sister has started to tell
              people that we are French ?   

" Live and let Live "

Offline tednlou2

Re: DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
I had to do a paternity test, but haven't done DNA testing.  I would like to know if I'm related to the Obama's.  News agencies released all those celebrities, who were related to them. 

There's also the testing about illnesses.  Not sure I want to know whether I have the genes for Parkinson's.  But, it would be interesting to see where I really come from.  What all does DNA testing tell you about your ancestors?  I know those stories about the celebrities related were done by old school means and not DNA.  The DNA testing tells you how far back your ancestors go to Africa? 

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
     Hi Ted :)
    I am NOT interested in illness . I have enough info all ready   :'(

Yes I want the test to see where my Father came from .

I am a first generation American , Mom's family appears to all be

Italian  ;)

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
My best friend's daughter did this.  I think it would be fascinating.   I would love to find out my background, and possibilities for different illnesses.  I just think it would be cool.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline weasel

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
My best friend's daughter did this.  I think it would be fascinating.   I would love to find out my background, and possibilities for different illnesses.  I just think it would be cool.

BT  , do you know whom she used ?

Bob said it can be part of my birthday present  :)

Carl

P.S. Does HIV mess with the test ? 
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »
   BT  , do you know whom she used ?

Bob said it can be part of my birthday present  :)

Carl

P.S. Does HIV mess with the test ? 

Carl, I do not know who she used, but I will ask my friend to see if she remembers.  I do not know if HIV skews the test but I would doubt it since they would be testing DNA directly (thus not the immune system itself).  I will let you know what I find out about the organization my friend's daughter used, she may even remember what the cost of it was.  Will report back.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Thank you !  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
Carl, the name of the company is 23andme.  She can't remember the cost.  I really don't have anymore info about it, but I hope this helps.

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Carl, the name of the company is 23andme.  She can't remember the cost.  I really don't have anymore info about it, but I hope this helps.

Thanks Betty  , I will now snoop  :)

Carl

I have found them !    Testing soon  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:40:13 AM by weasel »
" Live and let Live "

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
they did a DNA test on me yesterday to see how I metabolize certain types of drugs...it was just a swab in my mouth...who knows what that will end up costing me..i didn't ask for it, but was somewhat pushed to do it
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
they did a DNA test on me yesterday to see how I metabolize certain types of drugs...it was just a swab in my mouth...who knows what that will end up costing me..i didn't ask for it, but was somewhat pushed to do it

Hopefully Maury will find your baby's daddy .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
that's a cool present.  I'd be interesting to connect a link to the past.  I've track one side of my family all the way back to Scrooby England in the 1400's.  My oldest known grandfather was Michael Jackson. 

It'd be nice to discover my father's side, but they were a rowdy Irish bunch without many legal records.  :)
productivity breeds content

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
Greg, my dad's family were Irish also!  My grandparents migrated from Ireland here.  My grandfather passed the bar, but it was during the depression and he couldn't find work as a lawyer, so he worked for the Detroit Free Press as a reporter.  I really don't know much more than that as they (grandparents) both passed away prior to my birth.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
My real father and his entire family are carrot heads.  Mom says im the reason they got divorced.  my older brother looked just them then i came along and was dark completed with dark hair and blue eyes.  He came back and gave me 2 more siblings who retained the red hair / brown eyes evidence.  lol
productivity breeds content

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
My real father and his entire family are carrot heads.  Mom says im the reason they got divorced.  my older brother looked just them then i came along and was dark completed with dark hair and blue eyes.  He came back and gave me 2 more siblings who retained the red hair / brown eyes evidence.  lol

That is cute  Greg  :)  ,
                                         My father always said the  " twins "   were not his  :o

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline zach

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
i've always thought about doing this, my mother doesn't know who her biological father is. my grandmother would never discuss it, but i know she made a trip to europe, and eventually rome, around the time in question. my mother does look spanish/portuguese

really interesting show on pbs "finding your roots" with the harvard professor henry gates where they did this with a bunch of celebs. learned alot.

costs anywhere from 100-200 bucks, and for the fullest picture you'd want two tests, one that traces your maternal line, one the paternal.

the amazing thing is how they can bring together different databases to give a great deal of information. the mormon church has a massive genealogical database (go figure, they convert dead people) that is very useful.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.