HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Protected anal and vaginal sex

<< < (2/2)

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Guillermo Raiz on August 23, 2013, 12:59:20 AM ---Thanks for your answer. I'll keep in mind that only unprotected vaginal and unprotected anal sex are considered a risk for HIV and that as long as condom is used, there is nothing to worry about. Last question about HIV testing. For the future, if I want to test as early as possible with a 4th generation test ( antibodies and antigens ) should I go at 4 or 6 weeks ? Where I live most clinics still use a 3rd generation test... So they say that we have to wait 3 months. But I go to a private clinic ... So I just want to know if it's 4 or 6 weeks to get a conclusive result? I mean... most people would either have antigens or antibodies by 4 weeks right ? so why wait 6 weeks? ...Thanks

--- End quote ---

While most people seroconvert within 22 days I honestly think you are pushing the science to take anything short of a six week 4th gen test as even close to definitive.

The way I see it, as you are testing for a no-risk incident, your belief in the result of that test is going to likely depend on your adherence to the guidelines. In a private clinic it's not a free test, and it's not at all unusual to see people test at four weeks, five weeks, six weeks, up to three months - and by that time the anxiety has manifested itself in "symptoms." It's a slippery road, that. I don't want to see you caught up in that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version