Main Forums > Living With HIV

Took quality health care for granted...Now Im seeing the other side of the coin.

<< < (2/22) > >>

phillypinko:
Thank you all for being so "gracious" lol

Ann:

--- Quote from: phillypinko on August 19, 2013, 05:44:14 AM ---Im one of the less fortunate but I know how to take a bath every day. The people you know who would rather take drugs then pay rent are called drug addicts and you'd be doing them a greater service to let them hit bottom then enabling their lifestyle. Not liking the stink of filth does not make me some kind of monster who doesn't want to "share oxygen" with the less fortunate.

--- End quote ---

Not all homeless people are "drug addicts". Many people who are homeless do not take drugs as a recreational pursuit - they take them simply to blot out the reality of their lives. Many homeless people do not take drugs at all. It's all they can do to feed themselves.

Your idea of letting people hit "rock bottom" has been shown to be counter-productive in the extreme. For a start, for a homeless person, "rock bottom" more often than not equals death. Are you in a better place to dictate policy than people who have studied homelessness and it's causes for decades?

I'd like to know how you would propose to take a bath every day if you should ever become homeless yourself. You have no idea what you're talking about here.

I hope you realise that some of our members here are currently homeless, and some have been there, done that. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, I suggest you drop the judgemental attitude.

You're being quite offensive and that will not be permitted here. Think before you post!

Ann

Jeff G:
I guess I'm a half glass full kind of guy and love seeing people getting treatment no matter of their circumstance . I know the clinic I attend has many people who struggle to get to their appointments on time , some come in sitting in wheel chairs that are held together with duct tape . The clinic gives gas vouchers for people who drive and provide vans to bring people in but most people who are homeless have no phone or a way to arrange transportation . I have noticed that some have been in the same clothing for who only knows how long because they cant wash them due to low funds and being disabled with psychical limitations . Its these people who need a smile and hug more than you could ever imagine , that's being gracious .

The county hospital where many low income patients got HIV care closed abruptly and my clinic had to work over 860 new patients into our clinic in a matter of months . They are seeking patient volunteers to help with the transition and many have stepped up to help by giving their time and its made a huge impact .

Philly , have you considered volunteering at your clinic or elsewhere . Its a wonderful way to help your community as well as yourself . It can help take the focus off your own problems and realize that you are not alone in your struggles you face .               

wolfter:

--- Quote from: phillypinko on August 19, 2013, 05:44:14 AM ---Im one of the less fortunate but I know how to take a bath every day. The people you know who would rather take drugs then pay rent are called drug addicts and you'd be doing them a greater service to let them hit bottom then enabling their lifestyle. Not liking the stink of filth does not make me some kind of monster who doesn't want to "share oxygen" with the less fortunate.

--- End quote ---

As someone who has never done or needed recreational drugs, I find your entire line of thought patterns so congruent with what I was raised with and therefore will disregard any input you provide.  Instead of apologizing for your assisine comments, you continue to espouse them.  Therefore, I can't imagine ever trying to be supportive since you view yourself in a different league.  BTW, I come from a good family and have never done drugs, am college educated and am only a few dollars away from the situation you describe.

I truly hope you can look at our comments from a different viewpoint and garner the insight to move forward without the judgmentalness I perceive.

Mishma:
Consider for a moment that these "Streetfolks/drugaddicts," you speak of have a illness which I'll call mental illness for sake of argument that is no different than your HIV infection, a common cold or cancer. These are all illnesses of your body/brain and they all deserve treatment and compassion. Unfortunately, in this bloody country the brain dead powers to be still consider Health Care, in it's entirety, a privilege and not a right-a subject that pisses me off. 

Perhaps if their smell offends you, you can invite them home with you for a bath and meal-that would be the humane thing to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version