POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2015, 12:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 665684
  • Total Topics: 51201
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Medicare, Prescription Coverage, Retirement  (Read 467 times)

Offline didee

Medicare, Prescription Coverage, Retirement
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:05 PM »
Unfortunately I am one of those that has not been a saver in preparation of retirement, and then when diagnosed back in 1985 I felt like there was no reason to save.  It was a good excuse anyway :-)   Now here I am surviving this and having been blessed with decent health throughout the years am still able to work.  I work in the technical field which makes it easier physically, except for the stress which wears on me a lot lately.  I've worked full time all my life and am starting to 'dream' about not having to for a change, at least getting away from such a stressful job.  I have been checking on my financial status and one thing I'm curious about is how well Medicare and any supplement coverage for medicines pay for HIV medications.  The plan I chose at work this year I'm finding to be the wrong choice, so next year I'll be changing my plan in hopes that it pays better for medications.

With the cost of medications, I'm expecting to have to keep working for as long as I can to help pay for them until I turn 65 maybe?  Anyone else out there still working and starting to look into a possible 2nd less stressful career in order to continue on with health care until Medicare kicks in?  And those on Medicare, are you getting good coverage?  Just some concerns that have been kicking around in my head lately. 

Diane
Positive since 1985
CD4 675, VL 29

Offline mitch777

Re: Medicare, Prescription Coverage, Retirement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Hi Diane,

I'm not the best one here to answer your question regarding Medicare drug benefits but as I am about to (hopefully) be on disability soon I think this is how it works...

Once on Medicare you will need to also purchase Medicare Part D insurance. Make sure you find a plan that best covers your meds. The cost of this plan can vary but I believe most are between $100-200/ month.

Then there is the "donut hole". At some point you will need to pay for your meds on your own until you get through it and then your insurance will cover you from that point forward for the year. The donut hole is supposed to get smaller in the years to come I'm not sure what it is now but I'm guessing around $3000. Some one else here would know the exact amount but you could google it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here folks but if you are eligible for ADAP it will cover you through that donut hole period so there would be no out-of-pocket expenses on your part.

It's great to hear that you have been able to work through all of these years with decent health being diagnosed when you were! I had a productive working life for the first 23 years after being diagnosed in 1982 and while I miss it I can understand how stress can wear one out as we get older and in my case have had many medical problems (not all related to HIV).

I'm not sure how helpful I was but hopefully others with more direct knowledge of the system will chime in here.

Best of luck to you! Saving for retirement isn't easy for most people if you read the statistics and for us LTS... well, I get it.

...And a belated welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,
m.
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Medicare, Prescription Coverage, Retirement
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:27 PM »
I posted a thread about living with HIV and planning for retirement several years ago:

Link:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=23630.msg299977#msg299977

All definitely worth exploring.

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.