Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Confusing article about resistance to HIV meds

(1/5) > >>

buginme2:
So, I was reading this article about how the FDA is streamlining the process to get new HIV drugs approved for treatment experienced patients who may be running out of treatment options, good news.

However, the article mentions twice how HIV mutates even when someone is effectively treated.  It mentions nothing about adherence being a factor and says that even with treatment hiv still mutates. Here's a passage:

Since 1996, the virus has largely been controlled through the use of drug cocktails made up of three or more types of medicines taken together. While these combination therapies limit the number of paths used by the virus to invade human cells, they donít end its ability to mutate in ways that allow it to overcome the therapies, often within three to four years.

The article is in Bloomberg (not some fly by night outfit).  Is it just me or what's up with this?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-12/hiv-survivors-seek-drug-advances-as-fda-eases-approvals.html

mecch:
Shoddy reporting combined with typical ignorance, fear and bias?

Tadeys:
I read on here about a year ago that some super-duper computer found 7 non-toxic compounds to which resistance wont be an issue. Hope we have those drugs soon: (7-10 years).

life2:
I didn't see anything wrong with the article.  Mutations still occur even when we are adherent to our meds and have an undetectable viral load.  Most mutations are not resistant to our meds and effectively killed off.  Eventually one of those mutations wins the resistance lottery. 

Viral load is akin to the number of lottery tickets HIV has and the length of time we are infected represents the number of lottery drawings.  HAART just reduces the number of those resistance lottery tickets out there. 

mecch:

--- Quote from: life2 on August 13, 2013, 09:37:23 PM --- Eventually one of those mutations wins the resistance lottery. 

--- End quote ---

What research supports this???  I've never heard of such a thing. I think you are flat out wrong, in fact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version