Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

I have some good news!

(1/4) > >>

aztecan:
OK, I had my labs done Monday (yesterday).

After three months taking Cholestyramine, my results are back.

My overall cholesterol is 181, down from 246

HDL is 38, down a bit from 41, but still OK

LDL is 109, down from 171.

Triglycerides are the same at 167.

CPKs are 619, so up a bit from 559, but I am not worried about it.

So, all in all, not too bad. I should the other stuff, CD4, etc., at some point.

Kidney function is normal, no protein in the urine. Something we Truvada takers have to watch. (Try explaining that to the PREP crowd.)

Liver function is normal, or so the doc said. I don't have the numbers, but I try to be careful about my fat intake because of my history of hepatic steotosis and NASH.

I guess, all in all, I had a pretty good set of results.  :)

HUG,

Mark 

Theyer:
About time too oh desert dweller, am delighted for you , have I ever read off you have such a good Cholesterol drop?

wolfter:
That is great Mark.  Is that particular drug considered a statin?

pozniceguy:
great  news  Mark  .I know  how  you have  battled that High  cholesterol

enjoy  the good news...

Nick

aztecan:
Hey All,

The last time I saw a drop in my lipids like this one was when I first switched from Lexiva/Norvir to Isentress.

That one didn't last. I am hopeful this will.

No, Cholestyramine is not a statin drug. It is a bile acid binder that works in the intestine.
Basically, what it does is prevent the body from absorbing cholesterol from food, forcing the body to use the cholesterol already in the body.

It does seem to work, I am happy to say. The only side effect for me was some additional bloating at first (at my age, water can cause bloating  :o ) and having increased "regularity." 

I have had to visit the the bathroom a couple of times a day rather than once, but no diarrhea or anything like that.

You still have to eat a sensible diet. You can't stuff yourself with bacon, cream puffs and Paula Deen recipes and expect the med to work.

But, I also was less than diligent prior to my lab work. I wasn't eating vegetarian meals or fish all of the time. There was some red meat and even some cheese in there.

I also eat eggs for breakfast once or twice a week, etc.

As I said, I am rather pleased with the outcome. Since I was the guinea pig for my doctor here, I suspect others may find themselves using it.

There are a few caveats. It must be taken at least two hours before or an hour after other meds. It may prevent the other meds from being absorbed properly if taken too closely together.

The other is to drink plenty of fluids - especially water. This prevents any problems with constipation, which can be a side effect.  This is no biggie for me because I got into the habit of drinking at least a gallon of water or tea a day when I took Crixivan.

OK, I have droned on enough. But it is something to keep in mind if you are battling the lipids and statins are not an option.

HUGS,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version