Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

HIV Diet / Wasting.

<< < (2/5) > >>

darryaz:

--- Quote from: bmancanfly on July 28, 2013, 02:58:20 PM ---If God hadn't intended us to eat natures creatures he wouldn't have made them so delicious.   ;)

--- End quote ---

AMEN!!!!!

buginme2:
It doesn't sound like a protein issue it sounds like a calorie issue.

You mention that you are very active, are you eating enough calories to maintain that level of activities?  When switching from animal based to vegetarian based diet you need to account that an ounce of meat has a very high amount of calories compared to a similar ounce of plant based food. 

Americans are obsessed with protein.  A well balanced diet be it standard or vegetarian/vegan should provide plenty of protein. 

Ann:

--- Quote from: bmancanfly on July 28, 2013, 02:58:20 PM ---
It's a myth that vegans (or vegetarians) can't get enough protein. 

--- End quote ---

No one said they can't.

What has been said is that a vegan or vegetarian has to be vigilant about their diet and - quite often - rather creative about ensuring they're getting enough protein.

Some essential amino acids (the building blocks of protein) are difficult to source in a vegetarian diet and very difficult to source in a vegan diet. I know because I've been there, done that, and failed miserably. ;)

(As an aside, part of the reason I failed was because I was following a lacto-vegetarian diet, which means diary is ok, but eggs are verboten. Many vegetarians rely on eggs for those essential amino acids I keep banging on about.)

Being a healthy vegan or vegetarian requires dedication and a good knowledge of dietary requirements and how to source essential amino acids. It's not a diet you can get lazy on (like I did) and try to subsist on vegetarian fast-foods or ready-meals.

You need to like to cook, or at least like to source and prepare fresh foods. Relying on supplements in the form of pills or powders to make up the short-fall doesn't really cut it. The bulk of your nutrients needs to come from actual food, the less processed, the better.

Ironically, eating a strict, healthy, vegetarian or vegan diet can be expensive and time-consuming.

bmancanfly:
Anybody who has ever been on a vegetarian diet knows that the first question that everyone ever asks you about  it is "how do you get enough protein".  And they often say it with such grave concern for your well being.  That fact is,  with minimal effort,  vegans can get all the protein they need - for vegetarians it's even easier. Most people eat way more protein than necessary anyway.

The OP asked;
"Should I be eating more meats in my diet?"

and the answer he got was

"The short answer is "YES".   Vegans frequently do not get an adequate amount of protein and other nutrients."

When actually the short answer is "not necessarily".  While some vegans,  doing the diet improperly don't get enough protein,  it is entirely possible,  with a minimum of effort,  to get adequate protein in a vegan diet.  If you feel better on a vegan diet,  and enjoy it (??),   than continue doing it,   but as the others here have clearly stated you have to make more of an effort to get adequate protein.  However, it's not nearly as difficult as the general public believes.  And "no" eating animal protein is not necessary.

It seems more likely that the OP has a calorie deficit problem than a protein problem.  All that cardio is burning a lot of calories.

My only question is,   why would you want to be a vegan?  Animals are yummy.  :D

oksikoko:
Howdy! Interesting topic.

First, wasting syndrome caused by HIV involves involuntary weight loss of more than 10% of baseline body weight that is associated with either chronic diarrhea or chronic weakness and documented fever for more than 1 month, so take heart that you're probably not wasting. ;) I didn't do the math.

If you're interested in nutritional changes brought on by HIV infection, I refer you to this WHO report which discusses the increase in our resting energy expenditure required just to fight the virus and says, for example:

"Energy requirements are likely to increase by 10% to maintain body weight and physical activity in asymptomatic HIV-infected adults, and growth in asymptomatic children. During symptomatic HIV, and subsequently during AIDS, energy requirements increase by approximately 20% to 30% to maintain adult body weight."

There's a lot more information there. It's out-of date (2003), but a good read.

Nutrient requirements for people living with HIV/AIDS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version