Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

HIV Diet / Wasting.

(1/5) > >>

RemyG1971:
I am a Cardio freak. I surf, I skateboard, I ride my bicycle a lot, I walk, I run, I hike, I practice Bikram Yoga and very carefully watch what I eat. I do not drink alcohol.

I have recently gone 100% Vegan just based on the way it made me feel and the energy I got from the lifestyle. Since my last set of test results (4 months) I lost 12 pounds. I have had a few people come up to those close to me and asking them if I was Ok. I feel great and not sure if it wasting or just my new diet plus the vass amounts of cardio I do 5-6 days a week.

What are the benefits of eating lean meats?

What exp have you had with diets?

Should I be eating more meats in my diet?

darryaz:

--- Quote from: RemyG1971 on July 27, 2013, 11:50:41 AM ---Should I be eating more meats in my diet?

--- End quote ---

The short answer is "YES".  Vegans frequently do not get an adequate amount of protein and other nutrients.

Ann:

--- Quote from: darryaz on July 27, 2013, 01:13:25 PM ---The short answer is "YES".  Vegans frequently do not get an adequate amount of protein and other nutrients.

--- End quote ---

^^this.

Our dear departed Moffie used to stress that people living with hiv need plenty of protein in their diet. If we're not getting enough protein, our bodies start to scavenge protein out of our own muscles.

If you haven't already, you may want to read through this site's Nutrition Lesson. It's basic, but will give you a start.

In my own experience, I was a lacto-vegetarian for the first ten years or so of my infection. I started craving chicken and when I finally started giving in and eating small amounts of animal protein each week, I began to have more energy. I have to admit that I wasn't as careful about my vegetarian diet as I should have been.

You may want to consult with a dietician who has experience in advising hiv positive people and who is also familiar with a vegan diet. You may be able to continue with being vegan, but you'll have to be vigilant about sourcing your proteins and making sure you're getting all the amino acids that you need. Some of the amino acids we need simply aren't available from plant-based proteins.

Good luck!

edited to fix broken link

bmancanfly:
It's a myth that vegans (or vegetarians) can't get enough protein. 

How many calories are you eating?  And what's your macro nutrient break down? 

How much carbs? 
How much protein?
How much fat?

I eat 2200 calories a day consisting of 40% carbs,  30% fat,  30% protein.  I  workout a lot,  and maintain my body weight.

You need to figure out how many calories you need,  taking in to account your physical activity,  to prevent weight loss.

Here's a general rule of thumb
http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/2010-calorie-intake-chart.pdf

or look at this
http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

Edited to add;  If God hadn't intended us to eat natures creatures he wouldn't have made them so delicious.   ;)

I eat a moderate amount of lean chicken and fish because it is a simple and easy way to get protein.  Very very little red meat for me.   But there are more than enough ways for a vegan to get plenty of protein.

darryaz:

--- Quote from: bmancanfly on July 28, 2013, 02:58:20 PM ---It's a myth that vegans (or vegetarians) can't get enough protein. 

--- End quote ---

I agree with you 100%.  I didn't say "can't".  I said "don't".  It can be done but definitely takes a great deal of additional effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version