Main Forums > Living With HIV

Disclosure to other Drs. / Dentists, etc?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ann:
Steve, it's in your own best interest to tell any health care provider that you're poz. Not from a legal perspective (although you would be wise to check out your local laws if you're not going to disclose), but from a health perspective.

Personally, I always tell my health care providers for two reasons. The most important one is so they can give me the best medical care, which they cannot do if they don't know all my medical details. For example, they need to know ALL the medications you're on before they ever prescribe additional meds - including things like antibiotics.

Anesthetists also need to know exactly what meds you're on, because some drugs used during operations are contraindicated with some hiv meds and being given the contraindicated meds can result in very serious consequences.

The second reason is that if they have a problem with me being poz, then they're the last person I want looking after my health. I have changed or refused to see doctors/dentists on occasion because they were prejudiced in some way against poz people. If they're afraid of me or have a bad, judgemental attitude toward people with hiv, I'm going to get substandard care, no question of that.

mitch777:
Ann said it best and I have found the need to disclose for every reason given.
I walked away from a couple of docs along the way due to their attitude.
More often than not they actually treat me with MORE kindness and concern. :)

weasel:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on July 25, 2013, 09:49:07 AM ---Ann said it best and I have found the need to disclose for every reason given.
I walked away from a couple of docs along the way due to their attitude.
More often than not they actually treat me with MORE kindness and concern. :)

--- End quote ---

This is very true !

I tell all Doctors & Nurses , I have never had one reject me .

Thinking a Doctor is a mind reader could end up with Funeral plans for your loved ones  :(

Weasel 

P.S. Nice to meet you Steve  :)

wolfter:
As is typical, Ann is spot on with her response.  I was trying to get there but lacked early morning ability. ;D

I'll give an example; I recently had some dental work that required anesthesia.  Had I not informed my dentist of my HIV status, she might have administered Versed.  I can't actually declare that I'm allergic to this drug, but I've had an issue in the past where the anesthesiologist administered it even though I had informed him of my diagnosis.

I had such a severe reaction to Versed that I considered returning to the ER.  So  I do disclose to EVERY medical professional, I also point out the known counteractions with my specific HIV meds.

As others have said, I wouldn't want a dentist who has any type of bias. 

Wolfie

phildinftlaudy:
Not sure what the laws are in various places, but for me, I always disclose... following Ann's line of thought...

I have found that doctors and dentists (at least the ones I have usually dealt with) offer more comprehensive care to me when they know my status - Particularly when dealing with an illness that they might just prescribe someone some over the counter for - docs who know my status are able to understand that in my case it may not always be as simple as just prescribing an OTC....

I also use my status to my advantage - I have found that when I go to urgent care and list my status on the intake form, I usually get taken into see the medical staff quicker...

The one time that I did not initially disclose, but did later in the visit, the doctor actually caught an attitude with me - he said that while he practices universal precautions, it adds an extra layer to his understanding of my particular circumstances as a patient when he knows all things that can impact on his treatment of me and other conditions I may have...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version