Main Forums > Living With HIV

Disclosure to other Drs. / Dentists, etc?

<< < (3/5) > >>

darryaz:
The only time I ever worried about disclosing it turned out to be a non-issue.

My parents retired to a small town on the far eastern edge of Oklahoma (almost in Arkansas).  Let's just say it's not the most cosmopolitan place in the world.

I needed to see a dentist and mine was so booked he couldn't work me in.  So my Mom suggested I drive the hour to their town to see her dentist.  He was able to get me in quickly so I made an appointment.

I checked the "HIV/AIDS" box on the form the receptionist had me fill out and other than mentioning it in passing (more to reassure me than anything, I think) the doctor didn't seem to treat me any different from anyone else.

So my comment would be to DEFINITELY disclose to healthcare providers.  It helps them treat you more effectively.

If medical workers in this redneck part of the world can be sensitive/sensible about it, then you should be safe just about anywhere.

skeebo1969:

--- Quote from: darryaz on July 25, 2013, 02:52:45 PM ---
If medical workers in this redneck part of the world can be sensitive/sensible about it, then you should be safe just about anywhere.

--- End quote ---

My wife and I live in a small town in Alabama.

She just recently had a tooth pulled.  The dentist here went so far to ask her what her numbers and viral load were like.  When she told him that she's been undetectable for 10 years the dentist just shook his head and said, "It's amazing how effective the new antivirals are".

darryaz:

--- Quote from: skeebo1969 on July 25, 2013, 03:34:18 PM ---My wife and I live in a small town in Alabama.

She just recently had a tooth pulled.  The dentist here went so far to ask her what her numbers and viral load were like.  When she told him that she's been undetectable for 10 years the dentist just shook his head and said, "It's amazing how effective the new antivirals are".

--- End quote ---

That doesn't sound so bad to me.  I'll take lack of education over prejudice any day.

mitch777:

--- Quote from: darryaz on July 25, 2013, 04:57:54 PM ---That doesn't sound so bad to me.  I'll take lack of education over prejudice any day.

--- End quote ---
I dunno, sounds like the dentist was educated to me. The rednecks might be another story though. :)

skeebo1969:

--- Quote from: darryaz on July 25, 2013, 04:57:54 PM ---That doesn't sound so bad to me.  I'll take lack of education over prejudice any day.

--- End quote ---

Actually, it wasn't bad at all.  I was actually impressed with his line of questioning and didn't take it as a "lack of education" at all.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version