Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 694817
  • Total Topics: 54852
  • Online Today: 229
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible HIV Infection: Symptoms, Fears & Trying to Cope  (Read 434 times)

Offline kent28

• Standard
Possible HIV Infection: Symptoms, Fears & Trying to Cope
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
Hi Thanks for reading,

On Sunday June 12th I had an extremely risky encounter with a woman on her period. It was mostly oral sex and I had on a condom at one point but I was under the influence of drugs and alcohol and I let my idiot side take the wheel for a brief moment. I remember rubbing my unprotected penis on her vagina at one point although I did not fully insert.

By Wednesday the 15th I started to feel a little bit worrisome and anxious about the whole ordeal. I started to feel a bit off balance/wobbly when walking. Since then my symptoms have been small but I feel noticeably different. Symptoms like night sweats, inability to sleep for long periods, random itching and health anxiety are effecting me the most. I wish I had known about the PreP pills because I definitely would have sought after them but now its too late for that.

I got tested on Monday the 20th and I am awaiting my results. I know that even if this test comes up negative I am still about 3 months away from really knowing. I have probably read every single thing on the internet about this topic at this point and I wish I would have done this research before. I know that I should stay away from google searches but I just can't help it because I think about this almost every hour of the day.

I have come to terms with the fact that I probably acquired HIV due to my own foolishness. I also don't have any major resentment toward anyone because I know that this was my own fault. I joined this forum to try and get this off my chest and hopefully get some words of encouragement as I face the next 3 months of testing and a possible life with HIV. The symptom that is effecting me most is the lack of quality sleep without a sleep aid like Xanax. I hope that this is all in my brain as a result of anxiety and regret but I can feel my body going through changes and I just don't know what to do about it.

Thanks again for reading and if you have any positive words to share please write back.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Possible HIV Infection: Symptoms, Fears & Trying to Cope
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
HI
HIV is sexually transmitted though unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse.
Unless there was penetration there was no risk.
If these were your only concerns you can expect a negative result.
It is safe for you to move on.

Best, Wade

To avoid infection,
You need to be using condoms for all anal and vaginal intercourse until you are in a trusting monogamous relationship and both have been tested for all STIs and HIV.
Everyone who is sexually active should have an annual exam and test for all STIs and HIV ,and always after unprotected intercourse. Always using condoms will give you peace of mind your tests will return with a negative result.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline kent28

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Hi Wade,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Although I did not penetrate I came into contact with a lot of blood on my hands and there is a very big chance that I came into contact with blood on the tip of my penis. I am very hopeful that this is a one-off type of thing and I am actively looking forward to my results at the 3 month mark. Whether I am HIV negative or HIV positive I will make sure to practice safe sex habits with whoever I meet no matter what type of relationship it is. I hope that this can be a learning experience for me no matter what the results are.

If anyone has any advice on how to cope with the stress and anxiety of this waiting period please leave a message. My guilt, worry and lack of sleep are not exactly effecting me negatively because I am waking up early now and I have become more health conscious out of fear. On the other hand I do spend a lot of time thinking about this problem and I just don't feel right physically or mentally. If anyone is going through the same thing or has any suggestions on how to cope with this situation your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
Hi Kent
A result past 6 weeks will rarely change and as i have said
if these were your only worries your result will be negative .  Period...
Now relax and move on.

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline kent28

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:26:40 AM »
It has been about 2 weeks since the last possible exposure. I have been up and down, traveling, continuing to act normal but the stress is still there. I have been listening to a lot of Tedtalks and reading this book called Mind over Medicine by Lissa Rankin which has been helpful for my positivity and my healing process.

I went to the doctor today for a followup but the lab screwed up and forgot to do my HIV screening so I have to wait another week for those results. I had a 15-20 minute conversation with the doctor which helped my optimism. She also told me to stop worrying and that the past is the past and I cant change it. She told me to buy some over the counter melatonin to help my sleep which I did. I left to doctor's office feeling quite better and had a pretty good day. Exercised alittle, then went out and ate multiple meals within a short period of time. The one thing that makes me doubt that I have HIV is that I still have a hefty appetite and I might be eating more than before. By the time it was time for bed I was ready to move on. I had spent most of the day thinking about things other than my HIV fear and I was ready for some healing sleep. I took my melatonin at 10 and fell asleep at 11:30. I had a nice little dream and everything seemed to be going right but then I came out my slumber and back to reality. My heart beating fast and my body tensed up. I was unable to get back into a relaxation until around 5 AM and maybe I woke up at 7:00 AM now. Has anybody else had this problem?

It's as if everything is going right then, bang! I'm back to this fear response. I've never experienced these type of sleeping issues so I don't know how to react. I know that talking about symptoms and continuing to fester while waiting for the test are frowned upon on this forum. Does anyone have any suggestions for active forums where I can discuss these issues? I consider this a part of my healing process and I am trying to get down to the bottom of my stress. I have an appointment with my therapist in a few weeks but my parents are going to be there and I haven't yet gained a comfortable repor with my therapist or my parents on these sexual issues. I can bring it up to my friends but it's also so early in the story for me so I don't want to start any rumors about me having HIV. I also only have a few friends who would understand unconditionally so I'm not ready for that yet. I'll probably buy a couple xanax and get a good 6-7 hours of low quality sleep for the rest of the week. If anyone has any suggestions of active forums where I can socialize and post about my experience that would be greatly appreciated. I've also run out of free posts and questions on this website so I'm looking for somewhere to get this stress off my chest. Are there groups I can possibly search in my area for people going through this type of situation in the window period?

I'll check back to see if anyone replied but thanks for allowing me to use this website and I appreciate the opportunity to vent. I know I might seem like alittle bit OCD but I've really never felt my body react to anything like this. It's such a new, strange response and I hope that I can feel normal again.

Thanks!

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:53:55 AM »
Hi
I can only repeat what I have already told you no penetration= no risk .
Your doctor apparently agreed .
Continue to work with your therapist and doctor.

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.