Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2016, 02:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 692243
  • Total Topics: 54525
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 119
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Am I at risk?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Iamsorryjim

• Standard
Am I at risk?
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:41:25 AM »
On Saturday night (about 6 days ago) I had intecourse with a female sex worker in Australia.
She gave me a blow job with some deep throat for about 5 mins and there was no ejaculation. There was no condom used for oral. She also rubbed her vagina on my tongue and lips for a couple of mins.  She was dry.

We had vaginal sex with a condom and I ejaculated into the condom within about 5 minutes. I left after that and had a shower.

I started to feel muscle pains in my legs at the back like aching as well as some other dull aching in my arm bones too.

On Monday morning I got tested for hiv and all stis.  I know now that this was too early (it's covered under my healthcare plan) .  My doctor says there is very little chance of an infection of HIV however he got me tested for the antibodies and antigens for HIV.  All tests came back negative and it turns out I'm accinated for hep b too.

He told me to come back in 3 months for another test just for peace of mind but said he wouldn't bother as it was highly unlikely. He told me that my symptoms were  stress and worry related

But now I'm confused. I'm starting to get a cold now. And I still have these dull aches. Why am I getting these symptoms if I'm most likely negative? There are so many posters on the net with the symptoms of seroconversion and yet they continue to test negative? Is it a coincidence? Why are the symptoms appearing if we (these other people)  are not infected?

To be honest I was concerned at first but then the Dr told me not to stress so I didn't and I've continued as per my normal life however it's only been a week and I feel like I'm getting a cold. This can't be unrelated can it?  I know the weather is getting cold here as we move into winter but it's just odd that these muscle pains happen as I woke up in the morning. 

Everyone online is saying its stress related but even when I don't think about it for a few hours,the symptoms remain. Shouldn't they disappear or reduce with distraction etc?

I've read the sites rules about discussing symptoms. I'd just like to know how likely I am to be at risk, if I should be concerned  and why myself and others get negative results (even at 3 months) yet these common symptoms still remain?

I tried to get The Pep treatment from 3 different clinics but they all told me I didn't need it at all and wouldn't give it to me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:05:34 AM by tamsek24 »

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
    • Twitter - Yup i have twitter.
Re: Am I at risk?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 03:45:43 AM »
To answer your question you had no risk.
Nothing you mentioned was a risk for HIV transmission and your symptoms are not related to HIV. You are worried for no reason.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions. As you are sexually active, it is highly recommended that you get a full sexual health check-up / screening at least annually including but not limited to hiv testing.

Remember that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's. So please do get fully tested regularly for all STI's including HIV and more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs. Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Finally use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, to avoid sexually transmitted hiv infection.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Iamsorryjim

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I figured that you would say that Jim.

So any thoughts as to why myself plus many many others who test negative or have very low risk continue to get the same sort of symptoms that you refer to as  unrelated to HIV?

This forum always says that this sort of situation is no risk but how is unprotected oral sex no risk?

To be clear  I Did have unprotected oral sex with her.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:13:39 AM by tamsek24 »

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:39:31 AM »
Why so many negative people get symptoms when they go on to test negative, are negative. Does not really matter, they are negative, stress and the power of the mind is huge and just look at the number of posts in "Am I infected" all with symptoms even when they had no risk.

People are often scared don't understand how HIV transmitted or how HIV works are a virus and so panic. 

As for your oral question well its pretty simple receiving a BJ is not a risk. The theoretical risk is only with particular conditions and then only when giving the BJ not receiving. 

As for the cunnilingus well to start with the virus is very fragile, and your mouth has dozens of protein and enzymes that damage the virus and render it unable to infect.  Also the fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, this is a lubricating fluid and does not have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears.  Saliva, sweat and tears are not infectious fluids.

I agree with your Doctor, move on if you can't than test for peace of mind but note its just testing for peace of mind nothing more than that and your symptoms are not HIV related.

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Iamsorryjim

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:19:21 PM »
Your words are comforting.
I had a look at the threads you mentioned and most people that have been told are no risk never really come back to confirm here that they're negative so how can you be sure your prognosis record is even reliable? .

my symptoms are coincidentally appearing and like everyone else It must be psychosomatic because they occur at the same time as the encounter..and this is all in our heads?  I guess the internet can be a dangerous place to view medical info.

And i know you say I have no risk but how would you respond if I come back in 10 weeks or so and I've discovered I'm positive from this specific encounter?  (I'm abstaining until then to be safe)

There has to be a time that you have told someone they have no risk when they actually have been infected by that experience. Can it be this simple to determine high/low risk vs no risk?

Achy muscles and a runny nose a few days after the incident.  I wasn't worried until I noticed that I was getting these occurrences which is when I began to attribute to possible HIV infection..  So my symptoms weren't actually brought on my stress and fear on my part.

I know we don't talk about symptoms here and I will discus with the doctor but how do you explain that? I think this is a common question people are asking themselves.and would be helpful to address.

Thanks for your advice.

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
There has to be a time that you have told someone they have no risk when they actually have been infected by that experience. Can it be this simple to determine high/low risk vs no risk?

Never.  Most people over estimate risk and read too much online and don't understand how HIV is transmitted.

If you checked you will see that even low risks such as dipping I advise testing.
But a lot of the posts and people concerns are simply about situations that transmission is biologically not possible.

If you test over this incident it's just for your own peace of mind. Nothing more than that. I tell everyone to test at least yearly so no harm in testing.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:25:52 PM by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:37 AM »
I agree with your Doctor, move on if you can't than test for peace of mind but note its just testing for peace of mind nothing more than that and your symptoms are not HIV related.

Going forward continue to practice safer sex and test at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV.

As for your mod report and request it's simple when you sign-up you would have been warned and agreed to this, it's also posted in the welcome notice at the top of each thread.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

Time for you to move on.

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Iamsorryjim

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:30:06 AM »
Thanks Jim,

it's my first time down under and with first time with a female - been here on holiday for a little while now so i'm really looking forward to to just going home and getting back to my normal life/work/friends.

cheers for everything

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:25 AM »
Your welcome.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.