Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Inheritance & Benefits

(1/3) > >>

TnMan62:
I am curious if anyone knows how getting an inheritance, either property, or money, or both, might affect benefits like Medicaid, and/or other social services. As I understand, it does not affect SSDI Benefits???

jkinatl2:
I don't have any answers, but have all of the same questions. I hope you get some replies!

Habersham:
For SSI you may have up to $2000 in resources.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

However, you are allowed to own - the car that you drive
and the house that you live in. Therefore, if you acquire these two items you should not have any issues. Also, if you receive a cash settlement from an estate and use it to PURCHASE either or these items you may still receive benefits but situations vary.
Things like jewelry and furs would qualify under household goods.

The rules for Medicaid and ADAP are similar. It's a large sum of cash that is problematic.

mitch777:
I don't have much to add other than ADAP asset limits probably vary from state to state. In CT there is no asset limit and the income limit is 400% above poverty level.

BT65:

--- Quote from: Habersham on July 21, 2013, 09:29:57 PM ---For SSI you may have up to $2000 in resources.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

However, you are allowed to own - the car that you drive
and the house that you live in. Therefore, if you acquire these two items you should not have any issues. Also, if you receive a cash settlement from an estate and use it to PURCHASE either or these items you may still receive benefits but situations vary.
Things like jewelry and furs would qualify under household goods.

The rules for Medicaid and ADAP are similar. It's a large sum of cash that is problematic.

--- End quote ---

This is for SSI and the op asked about SSDI.  The resource limit and situation may be different as there are different limits for working while receiving the two.  I would check with SSA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version