POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24258
  • Latest: ter353
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649907
  • Total Topics: 49602
  • Online Today: 190
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: needles  (Read 744 times)

Online zach

needles
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
     Could maybe have put this in activism, or in how can I prevent (still unclear on the posting rules and role of that board)

So I kept it here, but don't mind it moved

I had a clinic appt last week. While there, I had hoped to be able to accomplish something for a friend.

Its no real secret I have been an IV user, and have some old friends that still have that monkey. I care for both of these people, their father was mentor to me. He would raise hell seeing them like this. Then blame me for not stopping it. But I'm not naive enough to think I can detox them.

Anyway, she needed a safe place to hide out and get better, (she'd ran out of oxy script) so a couple days sick in my room. Washed her up, fed her, got her in some decent winter clothes. Then I saw her rig works.

Freaked me out. I have no idea how long she's had that needle. It looked horrible. Dull and dirty. She's backwashing it with hot tap water for fucks sake.

So I asked at the clinic if they give needles. Not only is the answer NO, but it turns out you have to have a prescription for a needle in Georgia. WTF?!? I'd buy her clean ones, but I'm prevented?! Please explain the logic?

Giving kids condoms doesn't encourage sex, giving drug addicts clean needles doesn't encourage abuse. They're going to abuse anyway, why not mitigate the risk?

This is a huge glaring blindspot in any prevention strategy. Why wouldn't a dedicated AIDS clinic give needles? They have a huge wicker basket full of male and female condoms at the discharge desk free for the taking. I get excited thinking they are lollipops, sadly no.

Is this common in other places? Is there anything I could do to advocate for a such a  program? I know there are active drug IV drug users that are patients of the clinic. Their health is being ignored.

I've read her the riot act about sharing, but mea culpa, back in the day, we shared, I always gave her first taste. Ten years later, I'm amazed she's still hanging in there.

I'm pushing her to come in and get tested, her brother is HCV+, she probably is too, if not coinfected with HIV.

Not to mention that she just doesn't know (or care) how to clean her gear. So I'm planning on sitting her down and teaching her. That ought be interesting. Hope she actually takes it to heart.

No spare change left in the house when she leaves. Usually hits me for the cost of a pill, I don't play along with that though. She gets pissed, leaves in a huff, comes back hurting, cycle repeats. Some things never change.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:24:57 PM by zach »

Offline 2tcells

Re: needles
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
it is the same here in Nevada dosnt make a lot of sense except for they are more concerned with people getting needles than getting hiv. they will get needles in the trash or from a clinic dosnt matter to them as long s they have one. this is a major problem in Nevada and probably most places in the US.

I don't think you will be able to get a iv user to ditch the dirty needle unless you have 2 or 3 clean ones in exchange . sucks but it is reality when they make them hard to come by 
7-4-13 diagnosed cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud yay!
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud boo
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:53:14 AM »
Does your local public health department run a needle exchange program?   Public health runs the program here.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/communicable/hiv/resources/needle.aspx

Maybe there is something similar there?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Almost2late

• "The Nutcracker"
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Does your local public health department run a needle exchange program?   Public health runs the program here.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/communicable/hiv/resources/needle.aspx

Maybe there is something similar there?
I doubt that they do that in Georgia where Zach's from, I know they don't do that in Florida (hey its the south) and Nevada where 2t's is at might as well be in the south too :-\
"Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him." - Henry Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBkwPYq4nhQ

“Nothing in the world can one imagine beforehand, not the least thing, everything is made up of so many unique particulars that cannot be forseen.” - Nostradamus

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
That's so surprising, in California right next to the condoms is a basket of needles, people can take as much as they'd like. Come on south catch up!
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
That's so surprising, in California right next to the condoms is a basket of needles, people can take as much as they'd like. Come on south catch up!

That's never gonna happen,  the south is a lost cause.

What's surprising is why public health providing disease prevention methods (its not just hiv) to the community most at risk by providing clean needles is somehow controversial.   

I fail to see the controversy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
It's not about controversy. It's about dips**t holier than thou moralists not wanting to be seen as "encouraging" addiction. So friggin' disgusting and big dumb is what the moralizing is.
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
Oh it's not just the South behind the time with needl exchange. Neither Indiana nor Michigan offer exchange programs.  There are underground ones that exist, however.  A person just has to get the right hook up. 

It is disturbing that the public health officials choose to pacify moralists instead of trying to prevent the further spread of diseases.  What does that say about the priorities?  Shit does slide downhill.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
When I lived in California there was group that would deliver needles to your door but they required allot of personal information that many drug users didn't want to give out . The best you can hope for in some areas are shady or sympathetic pharmacy's that will dispense them on the sly .

Any one who has ever been a IV drug user knows what risk or unsanitary conditions you are willing to overlook in order to get high . The stories I could tell ... but I wont as they serve no purpose at this point .       

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
...and then there is Vancouver B.C., which is starting a program to provide the heroin itself.

http://tinyurl.com/pqtrts2
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45%  VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37%  VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39%   VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34%   VL UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »
...and then there is Vancouver B.C., which is starting a program to provide the heroin itself.

http://tinyurl.com/pqtrts2

The Northwest (Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver) has long had a heroin problem.  Its been a problem here for decades.  Even though the area is more apt at instituting more solutions (needle exchanges, methadone clinics, even prescribing heroin itself) we continue to fight it. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
Heroin has been a problem everywhere for decade.  It's made a huge comeback here. 

Like Jeff said, IV users (myself included) knows what the risks are.  But the high usually outweighs the jones.  There are stories I could tell also but there would be no reason to do that other than amuse myself. 

As I said there are some underground exchanges.  Too bad they're not readily available.  Bunch of people in denial running the law.

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Online zach

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »
the politics of this are maddening, it absolutely defies logic. its not even heroin around here. they are crushing oxys, shooting that. all that filler going in, it burns worse than the drug. i've watched them. jump around like they've been snake bit right after. horrible tracks, i can't imagine what it's doing to their veins.

in my situation, the user, i can't help her... i realize that, and it hurts a lot. life sucks sometimes. this is one of them.

between her and her brother (who at this point, i'd probably just watch od and do nothing), and in other ways but just as self destructive watching my father. i am watching a few people in my life, and screaming inside, struggling to understand why they can't say to themselves "enough is enough, step back"

i have realized, i have to get away from this place. i was cornered into a situation shortly before i was dx'd when i thought it would be best to come back here. it was a mistake. simple as that. i fucked up.

when i am able, i will leave, i won't bug out like last time. but i will have to sweep a lot of people out of my life. friends and family. very few will remain.

my sons are coming over today, for a thanksgiving meal. and i don't even want them in this town, neighborhood, or house. neither does my exwife. it is hard to admit, she was right ten years ago.

not just drugs, but there is a deep sickness in this area. economics is a huge factor. two violent crimes within a block in the last couple of weeks. both elderly victims, one a woman i've known for 30 years. a florist, robbed and beaten for a little less than 40 dollars. i bought a corsage for the first girl i ever took to a dance from her. the flowers that went on both my grandparents, and my son's grave.

the other, a man just walking at the park. repeatedly stabbed, for nothing, no reason. i can see where it happened from my front porch. used to be cool to live right next to the park. now it's a risk. no longer worth taking.

one suspect in custody. the other, only a sketch, that looks like most of the people around here. could look a lot like me on a dark cold night.

i don't have solutions here. not for the needles for my friends, not for my father. i can see an out for myself. i'll take it when the time comes.

and the "boy found in jonesboro" just google whats in quotes, making national news right yesterday, same school district i attended.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:55:22 AM by zach »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Well, abstinence from drugs for a very long period only has a 4-6% success rate.  Most people don't get sober from whatever, and if they do, they rarely stay that way.

I used to join my fellow junkies years ago in using opiates if we ran out of heroin.  I have a friend that used to do a scene straight out of "Drugstore Cowboy," to steal pain pills from pharmacies.  Has been going on for years. 

The key for me, when dealing with friends, clients, anyone who won't leave drugs alone, despite consequences, is just acceptance.  When someone is caught up in addiction, I don't expect them to act any other way, than a using addict. I don't put unrealistic expectations on anyone.

I do keep myself away from it, to the best of my ability.  The town I was living in, there's like a shooting every weekend. It's like 10 minutes from where I live now.  I don't have to get all caught up in it.  I just do the best I can, and with doing that, it means to stay sober and doing whatever I have to do to accomplish that. 

It's a deep subject and I could go on and on.  It's been a little better than 9 years since my last go-around with addiction.  Not my first time and don't know that it will be my last, can't see the future.  But I do what I need to do to stay out of another hole.  That's all we can do.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
The politics are definitely maddening.  Addiction should be treated as a health issue, instead of a criminal issue.  I can see prosecutions for those selling, but not for people addicted.  Prisons have been privatized.  Others have powerful unions and they lobby.  They want more prisoners.  They don't want the failed "War On Drugs" to change. 

I read comment sections, whenever this issue is posted.  I realize those comment sections usually will get responses that are negative.  People will say people on drugs should be locked away.  They will say they don't want their tax dollars going to treatment or needle programs.  They are paying for it anyway, with all the incarcerations.  And, they are so short-sighted.  Even if you're a total uncaring asshole, they can't see being in prison often leads to people not being able to get jobs, which creates more crime.  Their son or daughter may not use, but they may have sex with someone who does.  Hep C cases are on the rise, with the rise of heroin.  I have read KY has the most Hep C cases per capita.  I couldn't believe that, but I assume the local paper was correct.  So, people who don't think it affects them are just being very short-sighted. 

Just imagine if we treated addiction like the health issue it is and put the money we spend on prosecutions and incarcerations into treatment and prevention.  Btw, I always find it interesting the number of people who will get buzzed or drunk every weekend and then drive home, but will say awful things about people addicted to other drugs.  I have known many people, who believe pot should remain illegal-- while they are drunk and saying that.  And, many of them will drive, after a night of drinking.  If they think pot should remain illegal and believe they don't have issues of their own, then I see a big uphill battle for changing the situation.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.