Main Forums > Living With HIV

What should I do after vomiting?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: LiveWithIt on July 18, 2013, 12:57:00 AM ---Can you keep anything down?  If so have a piece of bread or a cracker or two and take your meds.

--- End quote ---

Disagree. Better to miss a dose than to barf up half a dose. It's the half-dosing you need to worry about, not the occasional missed dose.

Ann:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on July 18, 2013, 01:41:42 AM ---Disagree. Better to miss a dose than to barf up half a dose. It's the half-dosing you need to worry about, not the occasional missed dose.

--- End quote ---

Surely a one-off, barfed-up half dose is no worse than a one-off completely missed dose? I'm not following your logic.

Besides, unless you're barfing up whole tablets that you can actually see and identify in your barf, then chances are good that they've already been pretty much absorbed or moved deeper into the gut before you've barfed.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Ann on July 18, 2013, 05:53:00 AM ---Surely a one-off, barfed-up half dose is no worse than a one-off completely missed dose? I'm not following your logic.

Besides, unless you're barfing up whole tablets that you can actually see and identify in your barf, then chances are good that they've already been pretty much absorbed or moved deeper into the gut before you've barfed.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure is six of one, half dozen of the other. But given the choice, I would rather skip the dose than go through the barfing process (which would, I imagine, include the requisite meal that one takes with the drugs).

I recall taking first gen Viracept - or rather, attempting to take them. Huge, uncoated blue bastards would stick in my throat and I would either barf, or force myself to chug water until they dissolved (kinda) in my throat, leaving it burned for hours.

I did read somewhere that, if you keep your stuff down for twenty minutes, you have given it time to dissolve. But like I said, it's not just the whales, it's the water (to quote Star Trek IV).

Ann:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on July 18, 2013, 02:14:33 PM ---I'm pretty sure is six of one, half dozen of the other. But given the choice, I would rather skip the dose than go through the barfing process (which would, I imagine, include the requisite meal that one takes with the drugs).

I recall taking first gen Viracept - or rather, attempting to take them. Huge, uncoated blue bastards would stick in my throat and I would either barf, or force myself to chug water until they dissolved (kinda) in my throat, leaving it burned for hours.

I did read somewhere that, if you keep your stuff down for twenty minutes, you have given it time to dissolve. But like I said, it's not just the whales, it's the water (to quote Star Trek IV).

--- End quote ---

OK, I get your logic now. Nobody likes to puke.

What confused me was your prior post about developing resistance - I should have also quoted that post I 'spose.

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on July 18, 2013, 12:57:55 AM ---It is great that you are diligent about your dosing! But if you are sick to your stomach, better to skip a dose than force yourself to take it, perhaps throw up a portion of it, and be half-dosed. THAT is when resistance can emerge. I really hope you feel better soon. Throwing up is the absolute worst.

--- End quote ---

And yeah, I remember reading in several places where you're ok if you've had at least twenty minutes between taking your meds and puking. Hell if I can remember where I've read it though.

buginme2:
This does shed light on the fact that there are no treatment options currently available for someone unable to take medications orally. 

Fuzeon is injectable however, one med does not make for an effective HIV therapy.

They are currently testing an injectable rilpivrine and the new integrate inhibitor (forgot its name).  Hopefully they will have success.  Otherwise, should anyone be laid up and unable to take your meds orally you could be up a creek.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version