Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Latest labs...

(1/2) > >>

mitch777:
Well, coming up on 31 years and have great numbers in some ways, others not so much.

VL-UD
CD4- 965
%- 39

Still having issues with some things.

Testosterone- (I'm on Androgel)

Total- 237
Free- 26.1
Bioavailable- 50.3

Related to being on Androgel- (the "lucky" 5% of us anyway) :(

Red Blood Count- 5.44 (range 4.0-5.2)
Hemoglobin- 18.1 (range 13.0-17.0)
Hematocrit- 51.0 (range 40.0-50.0)

Seems my body is absorbing the Androgel but even at a pretty low dose it is keeping my Red Blood Cell count too high. (not good)
My energy level improves with a higher dose of testosterone therapy but it comes with the added risk of cardio problems.
Will probably have to have some blood let on a regular basis to thin it out.
Not really sure of the risks involved in doing that on a regular basis.
Also have high cholesterol which has been untreated for about 2 years due to a strong reaction to statins in my muscles and joints.

Mixed bag. :) :(

wolfter:
Overall, these numbers look great.  What are the "mixed bag" emotions?  I'm probably being my usual dense self, but I don't see anything extraordinary about the lab results.

Wolfie

BT65:
I've never heard about the dangers of high counts of red blood cells, just because I've never known anyone who has experienced this.  So, please educate me, what are the dangers?  I'd be really interested to know.  And the Androgel is causing this?

mitch777:

--- Quote from: BT65 on July 16, 2013, 05:14:05 AM ---I've never heard about the dangers of high counts of red blood cells, just because I've never known anyone who has experienced this.  So, please educate me, what are the dangers?  I'd be really interested to know.  And the Androgel is causing this?

--- End quote ---
Thanks for asking. Yes, Androgel is the culprit. Only about 5% of those who are on testosterone therapy (including injections) respond with a high red blood cell count.
I'm not much of one to speak "doctor talk" but the specific test they get very concerned about is the Hematocrit level. Anything above 50 puts one at a greater risk for heart attack or stroke. They say a high red blood cell count makes your blood thick.
From what I understand, red blood cells are formed in the marrow and stick around for 90-120 days before being replaced. By letting blood every 3 or 4 months it thins out your blood by reducing the red blood cell count. Done regularly it will keep the Hematocrit level in check but your marrow will be working harder to keep producing more blood cells.
Not too sure yet about the consequences of doing this.
Testosterone therapy reduces my fatigue in a significant way. I was on 10 grams of gel at one point and felt my best as far as fatigue. (still had fatigue but it was a boost) On 10 grams I think I got my total T level up to around 400. The results above were after being on 5 grams for 4 months. Less T, more fatigue.
The doc would like to see if I am able to get my T level to 350 and yet have the Hematocrit level not exceed 50.
Looks doubtful unless I do the blood letting thing on a regular basis.
Quality of life vs. risk comes into play on what to do next.
Another blood test next month (i'm now on 7.5 grams of T) will show what I will be facing as far as T and H levels. Will need to find out about the risks from a Hematologist I guess. (unless someone here has more knowledge)
Having untreated High Cholesterol, a smoker, HIV+ and being 54 years old already adds to cardiac risk.
I went off of Androgel for a week to get my baseline T. It was 119. :( And boy did I feel wiped! My "free" T level at this point was 9. (normal range- 46-224) :(
That's it in a nutshell. :)

Fisher:
Excellent news!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version