Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Fish Oil and Prostate Cancer

(1/4) > >>

WillyWump:
What do y'all think about the study(ies) showing a link between fish oil and Prostate Cancer? I think most of us are taking fish oil supplement, and some of us are even on mega doses.

Of course it seems "everything causes something" but this is a bit worrisome, no? Although from what I can glean the effect may be minimal unless you are on mega doses.

I already have an irrational fear of fish oil so I only take a small dose every other day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2013/07/11/link-to-prostate-cancer-brings-more-bad-news-for-fish-oil-story/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100879850

These fish oil supplements in which some men are getting mega, mega doses in our opinion that is probably a little bit dangerous,

...Those with the highest blood levels had a 71 percent higher risk of high-grade prostate cancer, compared to those with the lowest levels. Overall, their risk of any kind of prostate cancer was 44 percent higher.

mitch777:
hmmm...
I just bought some fish oil (2 for 1 sale) a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Thought it would be good for the heart. Now I read that not only is there no significant benefit for the cardiac system but also a higher rate of prostate cancer. ::)
Maybe if I take it with a slice of bacon the 2 kinds of fat will blend and become the next miracle pill. 

Jmarksto:
...seems a little fishy to me...

In all seriousness, I was taking fish oil, vitamins D, C, and B for quite a while.  I now just try to eat healthy and call it good.

Matts:
If You are afraid of fish oil You can replace it with Organic unrefined Flaxseed oil (contains 50% Omega 3) and Thistle oil (contains 80% Omega 6).
One tablespoon daily is enough or the doses get too high. I don't know if high doses are dangerius, I should google it.

skeebo1969:

It doesn't surprise me.  It seems like everything is bad for us these days.

On a side note, yesterday I noticed an article that was titled something along the lines of "Cool Trick You Can Do With Mountain Dew!"

It seems if you leave 1/4 amount of the drink in the bottle and add a little vinegar and baking soda you can make your own glow stick.   I did think it was a little cool, but I also wondered what the hell is in this stuff. 

I don't know if glow sticks have changed much since I was a kid, but they always told us not to eat them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version