Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Suggestions for Self-Employed Insurance

<< < (4/5) > >>

JR Gabbard:
I checked out AmidaCare, and it looks like they are Medicaid providers specifically for NYC---not even sure about the rest of the state.
If you do not qualify for Medicaid, you will not be able to use this company.  Same thing if you live outside NYC (most likely).
The OP could go to the government website for more information on available plans in the area where he lives, or where he will be relocating.
Best of luck!

noregrets:
I think, for the time being, I'm just going to stick with my Cobra coverage from my current employer (as of next week "ex employer).  It's $469/month & that's way more than I'd like to spend but it's really only about $200 more than I was hoping to get coverage through Aetna for on my owm.  I started the approval process with them today & 5 minutes into it as soon as they learned I was on Atripla they wanted to pass me onto another department (in case my application was denied).  That told me right there where things were headed.  So, I'll have the Cobra for 18 months and I'll cross my fingers and pray (& I'm not even a praying man) that the exchanges & rates that start to kick in next year will make life a little more bearable. *fingers crossed*

mitch777:

--- Quote from: noregrets on August 14, 2013, 08:06:46 PM ---I think, for the time being, I'm just going to stick with my Cobra coverage from my current employer (as of next week "ex employer).  It's $469/month & that's way more than I'd like to spend but it's really only about $200 more than I was hoping to get coverage through Aetna for on my owm.  I started the approval process with them today & 5 minutes into it as soon as they learned I was on Atripla they wanted to pass me onto another department (in case my application was denied).  That told me right there where things were headed.  So, I'll have the Cobra for 18 months and I'll cross my fingers and pray (& I'm not even a praying man) that the exchanges & rates that start to kick in next year will make life a little more bearable. *fingers crossed*

--- End quote ---
I wish you well and I hope the new healthcare options starting in January will ease the burden. Healthcare has gone down hill and the expenses gone through the roof.
 m.

mecch:
I watched Rand Paul on the Daily Show and the main topic was health care.
What a load of malarky!!!!!  Sheesh!  Its really f'ing offensive that John Olivier didn't trash Paul's "facts" but it's a comedy show, alright. I hope Paul gets a good grilling face to face with a real journalist, to discredit some of this rosey picture of "85% of Americans have health insurance" and no further discussion needed about them.  Worse, he advocates a total free market on this, WHICH THE US WILL NEVER GIVE, so the end result of having Paul in control would only be less and less....  Harder and less secure lives all around.  Piled on top of how bad it is at the moment.

I mention this in the thread because its ALREADY been announced that insurance rates in the pools are going to be MUCH lower than the corporate rip-offs available now.  I can only imagine the copays and deductibles are going to be more reasonable, as well. 

Some of your experiences above, are nightmares!!!  I'm really sorry to hear it.

noregrets:
That's what I'm hoping too.  What concerns me is that the states that seem to be embracing this (CA, NY, etc) have said that rates will be lower.  Other states that aren't so cooperative I'm not so sure & haven't really heard much about rates (good or bad).  Currently I'm in VA & plan on moving back home to NC after the first of the year.  I'm hopeful the rates will be better in both of these, but I dunno.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version