Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Bone Marrow Removal Shows Promise In Removing HIV

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ann:
I merged all three threads started on this subject, and kept the best (most descriptive) title.

Please keep all further posts about this latest bone-marrow (don't say the C word just yet) news in this thread.

Any further new threads started on this subject will be deleted.

Thank you all for your cooperation and help in keeping this section of the forums tidy and easily searchable.

Ann

geobee:
Well this is certainly exciting!  Sign me up!  Er...just a sec...20% mortality, immunosuppressant drugs afterwards... hmmm... guess not!

But...wow!  This is really great news and I'm sure it's got a lot of smart people thinking about safer, cheaper stem cell transplants or other ways to mimic the transplant. 

Sure seems like the graft vs. host disease is what did the job.  I wonder if that would occur with autologous transplants.  Of course, it could also have been the chemo that did it, but I don't think so since they still had a VL after the chemo and it went down over time.  That seems to me like something like the GHD was doing the job.

This is really good news.   It'll be wonderful if they stay UD.  Time will tell.

bmancanfly:
I thought they already found the cure for AIDS
http://www.zimbio.com/watch/WIoYa6MtBSu/They+Found+a+Cure+for+AIDS/South+Park

Dr.Strangelove:
I still find it a bit hard to believe that a bone marrow transplant alone is enough to get rid of the virus.
Surely, Timothy Brown wasn't the first HIV positive person to receive a bone marrow transplant.
Shouldn't there be many more cured people like him then?

Cosmicdancer:
Good question.  According to data by the US Dept. of Health and Human Services, "over 17,900 bone marrow or umbilical cord blood transplants were performed in the United States in 2011".  You would think that at least 1 in 1,000 would be poz recipients.

http://bloodcell.transplant.hrsa.gov/about/general_faqs/index.html#1990 number tx in US

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version