HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Really think somthing is wrong.

(1/7) > >>

cnscred:
So I am really looking for some advice/ opinions. My story briefly: I had unprotected vaginal intercorse for close to 5 minutes before i put the condom back on. When I finished later I noticed small abrasion to my penis from the rough sex. 3 weeks later i developed weird symptoms. I had red bumps on both forearms, nausea, fatigue, loss of apatite. No fever though. I really began panic mode. I tested with oraquick swab at 1 month,negative. then i took a elisa 3rd generation at 1 month 4 days negative. the symptoms pretty much remained so at 6 weeks I took another elisa with a negative result. Just a few days ago I took my 8 week elisa and that was negative also.

My question would be how accurate would those test I have taken to this point be? would me having symptoms of ars mean that my immune system is strong enough to make antibodys? Maybe my body isnt making antibodys so would me getting a 4th gen test done be better? thanks for any advise

Jeff G:
You did have a risk and you were right to test . The appropriate time to test is 6 weeks post exposure , you did and it was negative . You will need to wait until 3 months post exposure ,  then you can test for your final conclusive result .

It would be rare for a 6 or 8 week test to come back positive at 3 months so I think you are going to come out of this OK .

You symptoms are specific to HIV so if you are feeling unwell see your doc and find out what's wrong , it doesn't sound like HIV . 

Ann:
cn,

While you are unlikely to go on to test positive this time, you need to stop having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with persons of unknown (or positive) hiv status. You may not be so lucky next time.

Please make sure you confirm your negative result at three months.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

cnscred:
Thanks for the answers! they are a bit of a relief, but I still can't put these symptoms to anything else, and way too coincidental. I'm def not making symptoms up due to stress.

Would the most reliable test be to just to wait this last month for a 12 week antibody? If my 6 and 8 week tests couldn't detect antibodys, could I assume the an rna would be able to pick up the virus now? Thanks.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: cnscred on June 28, 2013, 11:25:34 AM ---Thanks for the answers! they are a bit of a relief, but I still can't put these symptoms to anything else, and way too coincidental. I'm def not making symptoms up due to stress.

Would the most reliable test be to just to wait this last month for a 12 week antibody? If my 6 and 8 week tests couldn't detect antibodys, could I assume the an rna would be able to pick up the virus now? Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Its best to wait the full 3 months post exposure so you wont be left uneasy wondering if you tested too soon .

As for symptoms , HIV is but one of the many of thousands conditions they could relate too , so the odds overwhelmingly are in your favor that its not HIV .

When it comes to guessing whats wrong instead of seeing a doc , Google is not your friend .       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version