Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Anthem Blue Cross and SF bay area hiv docs/providers

(1/1)

randomwalker:
I am considering switching my insurance over to Anthem Blue Cross (I currently have Kaiser Northern CA), and I am wondering about the experiences of poz folks with Anthem. Is Anthem still requiring people to go through a mail-order pharmacy for hiv meds? I think there was a lawsuit about that earlier this year, but I don't know what the outcome is.

If I switch over to Anthem, I'll have a lot more options for my care providers. Does anyone have any recommendations for hiv docs in the SF bay area? I'd prefer something in the East Bay, although I am willing to travel around the SF bay area for a good provider.

Thanks!

mitch777:

--- Quote from: randomwalker on June 22, 2013, 08:44:58 PM ---I am considering switching my insurance over to Anthem Blue Cross (I currently have Kaiser Northern CA), and I am wondering about the experiences of poz folks with Anthem. Is Anthem still requiring people to go through a mail-order pharmacy for hiv meds? I think there was a lawsuit about that earlier this year, but I don't know what the outcome is.

If I switch over to Anthem, I'll have a lot more options for my care providers. Does anyone have any recommendations for hiv docs in the SF bay area? I'd prefer something in the East Bay, although I am willing to travel around the SF bay area for a good provider.

Thanks!
--- End quote ---
Hi random,
Welcome to the forums. :)
As I live in Connecticut I am not able to help much but I do have Anthem.
They only require mail order for my HIV meds. I also believe it varies state by state. Personally I hate not having a choice of pharmacies and believe there are lawsuits pending.
Other than that and the outrageous premium they charge, they have been pretty easy to work with.
Hope this helps.
m.

randomwalker:
Thanks mitch! I get my insurance through work so the Anthem rates are actually not bad in my case. But the mail-order thing is annoying. Considering all the times my mail and my neighbors' mail have been mis-delivered, I can't imagine how mail-order is a good idea.

randomwalker:
FYI. Looks like Anthem in CA is backing off on mail order pharmacies (for now):

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/19/business/la-fi-mo-anthem-drugs-20130219

mitch777:

--- Quote from: randomwalker on July 09, 2013, 11:40:39 PM ---FYI. Looks like Anthem in CA is backing off on mail order pharmacies (for now):

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/19/business/la-fi-mo-anthem-drugs-20130219

--- End quote ---

Lucky you! Wish Connecticut's AG would challenge the legality of this concept. I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. Doesn't seem right that we are forced to by a product from a particular company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version