Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Terrible Social Anxiety/Treatment Ideas

<< < (6/7) > >>

RobbyR:
Well my thing is the pretty bad side effects ssri's have just create more anxiety and while the paxil has helped my anxiety, it has pretty much destroyed my libido and sexual function at age 30. And I still get panic attacks, it just keeps my anxiety somewhat in check. Compared to other ssri I have tried paxil has been the best for me, but I still would rather supplement with a benzo like klonopin or replace my ssri ith a benzo I could take as needed.

I have not yet seen a pdoc, only gp, I hope to though. Social anxiety is very debilitating and I often have days where I don't want to leave the house for fear of being judged or looked at. My anti-depressant has helped me to function much more, but I still get panicky and have jitters. Bottom line I am just going to ask my doc next time if I can try Klonopin and see what he thinks. Just because some people build tolerance to benzos or abuse them doesn't mean everyone will. And the side effects are much less than ssris.

BT65:
Robby, no one's telling you not to ask your doctor for a short term trial of Klonopin.  But benzo's are really supposed to be used short term.  If used daily, not even abusing them, benzo's do build a physical addiction that's difficult to withdraw from. That's why I was suggesting cognitive behavioral therapy.  You just have to find a therapist who can utilize this type of therapy effectively.

Actually when I used Klonopin it did nothing for me, but because I was used to high doses of like Xanax and Valium.  It is a milder benzo.  And I'm probably talking out of term since many people are able to use it once in a while and not daily.  But in reality, all benzo's, if used daily on a consistent basis, are addicting.  Not that you shouldn't try it.  If the anxiety is debilitating then by all means get something to help you function.  I still stand by trying CBT (along with the Klonopin).  It really does work.

RobbyR:
If I had it to do over, I would not have started ssri's because they have killed my sex drive and have helped my anxiety somewhat but there are days when I feel so panicky and scared it's like I am not taking anything. So I am flat out going to ask my doc if I can try Xanax or Klonopin (maybe a better option) and start some type of cbt also.

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: RobbyR on June 24, 2013, 07:07:18 PM ---If I had it to do over, I would not have started ssri's because they have killed my sex drive and have helped my anxiety somewhat but there are days when I feel so panicky and scared it's like I am not taking anything. So I am flat out going to ask my doc if I can try Xanax or Klonopin (maybe a better option) and start some type of cbt also.

--- End quote ---

1) I am not a doctor. Talk to your doctor.

2) I was mis-prescribed SSRIs (many of them) which activated mania (among other problems) causing massive life disruption (among other problems).

SSRIs are dangerous for certain people, though they are prescribed like multivitamins, even by general practitioners with no background in psychiatry. It may be worth asking your doctor for information on this topic. Or it may not. Ask your doctor.

RobbyR:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on June 24, 2013, 07:12:33 PM ---1) I am not a doctor. Talk to your doctor.

2) I was mis-prescribed SSRIs (many of them) which activated mania (among other problems) causing massive life disruption (among other problems).

SSRIs are dangerous for certain people, though they are prescribed like multivitamins, even by general practitioners with no background in psychiatry. It may be worth asking your doctor for information on this topic. Or it may not. Ask your doctor.

--- End quote ---

Excellent points you made. I think too many GPs throw out ssri's and don't tell people what the side effects are going into it. Like I said my anxiety has improved on paxil, but some days I just feel numb and in a haze. Not that it's altogether unpleasant, compared to when I took Zoloft, that stuff made me feel like I was on crack! It made me freaking paranoid and manic as hell. Paxil is better but I would like to decrease my dosage of it. I plan on seeking behavioral therapy but I know realistically my anxiety and panic are so bad I don't ever see myself not being on some kind of meds. I think benzos get a bad wrap. My friend has taken Klonopin for years and she is also on Prozac granted, but she swears by the Klonopin she NEVER has anxiety anymore! I want to get where she is! I am not ready to give up on my current med because it keeps me somewhat sane but I'd like to try adding a benzo and see if my panic attacks will go away. Thanks again for the response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version