Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

How to Not Disappear Completely

(1/2) > >>

oksikoko:
What do you do when everything is pointless and empty? I mean, in practical terms, what activities do you do? Does it change anything?

oksikoko:
Sorry. Just had a thing there for a minute. Probably still a good question to have answered for reference purposes, but all is well.

Lee

jkinatl2:
I can only say that, for myself, when I feel that way, it means I am thinking too much about my needs and not trying hard enough to help others. When I live without thought to/for my friends, family, and community too long I start feeling that my life has no meaning. It takes shockingly little work outside my own sphere to change that.

Helping out here on AidsMeds, being a mentor offline, making dinner for my friends, volunteering a little time at the ferret rescue, and suddenly I feel like I do matter. Not "save the world" matter, of course.

I am capable of giving someone a relief from worry, hurt or pain - and maybe even make someone's day a little better, or even something so esoteric as adding to the positive paradigm in our society through advocacy and utilizing my skills, then that's validation enough.

Whenever I get mird in the notion that "I don't matter," I force myself to ask "why am I not mattering right now?" There's almost always something to do.

mecch:
I guess I rejected this many times, intellectually, when I was pretty young and studying the misc. philosophies and critical theories that showed how things were either deeply "relative", or impossibly open to multiple interpretations, or the old existential questions....  Are you talking about "feeling" the pointlessness, more than "thinking" it?
All i got are the basics, 1) survival and then some (but why? because... its less painful than miserable decline and fall?)  2) creative pursuits.  3) pleasures. 4) helping others.

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on June 17, 2013, 01:13:53 AM ---When I live without thought to/for my friends, family, and community too long I start feeling that my life has no meaning. It takes shockingly little work outside my own sphere to change that.

--- End quote ---

This is true. I used to play patron saint of drug adherence, helped a few people get back on treatment after lapsing. I'm fresh out of victims, fortunately. ;) If you've ever talked to me on here, you may remember I don't have friends or family per se, so it can be tough finding someone willing to be helped, especially helped by someone like me.

But you're right, nonetheless. I'll look around so there will be something to preempt it next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version