Main Forums > Living With HIV

How low did your CD4s get?

<< < (9/12) > >>

buginme2:
I bet Leather has a poster of that graph on his bedroom wall.

leatherman:

--- Quote ---Well that graphic is from an "average" infection,

--- End quote ---
the mean is 9.4 yrs (i had a link earlier, but lost it. you could google it or you could trust me  ;) look for a study from 2002). the average is anywhere from 8 to 15. So anyway you look at it hiv infection to symptoms/AIDS is about 10 years ---- on AVERAGE.

average, as in "a single value (as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values" (thank you merriam-webster) means that for most people this clinical latency period is not exactly 10 yrs; but it IS somewhere around 10 yrs. However, for every person like Disturbed that didn't make it a year, there's somebody (like a good friend of mine) that lasted 15 yrs.

One thing we've surely all seen (or trust me, you will see it), is that HIV is pretty damned different for everyone. Between lengths of time to get from one condition to another, to what OI people get when they reach AIDS, to the different meds that work for them, to which side effect people experience, to what long terms issues people experience.

the advocate in me would also point out that the discrepency in the latency period NOT being exactly 10 yrs is one of many reasons why testing is so very important. The sooner a person finds out their poz status the sooner (or more likely it is) that they can be treated in time to stave off a host of problems ;)

leatherman:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on June 15, 2013, 04:05:26 PM ---I bet Leather has a poster of that graph on his bedroom wall.

--- End quote ---
:D it's on every computer I own (in case I need to show someone); I have a print out that I use when peer counseling the newbies; and I have it on photobucket to share it around with you good peoples ;) :D

however, that kind of artwork in my bedroom would probably be a serious detriment to getting laid :o , so no, that chart is NOT on any of Leatherman's bedroom walls ;)

aaware72:
Hi,

Mine was 230 when I had my first test after I found out I was + 

gavelkind:

--- Quote from: leatherman on June 14, 2013, 11:06:43 PM ---Hey there Gavelkind  :DI know sometimes people get tired of me pulling out this graphic but it explains so much and is very informative to people who just don't know enough info yet

after the initial infection, the viral load goes up a lot and cd4s drop; but then, as the body adjusts to the infection, the viral load drops back low and the cd4s bounce back up. By the time a person has been infected for 4-6 months, "clinical latency" sets in. During this time period of 1 to 10 yrs, cd4s very slowly decline while the viral load very slowly climbs. Eventually, without medications, AIDS and Death happens.

The lesson to then learn from this graphic and info is that by the time the first year went by, it was NOT surprising that you had a low viral load and high cd4 count. That's how it usually happens. 

--- End quote ---

Hey Leatherman!
I understand the graph but does 135K count as a low viral load? I thought that was an extremely high number. I THINK I became infected a year before finding out so that explains my high CD4's but not a high viral load, right? Shouldn't it be lower? Does that mean my CD4's would be even higher if the VL wasn't so high? Or maybe I became infected closer to when I got tested? I doubt that though since I hadn't barebacked for a year. Then I read something about how people who test over 100K for viral load develop AIDS quicker if not on meds? Ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version