Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:10:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 485
Total: 486

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Facebook Drama  (Read 3141 times)

Offline tednlou2

Facebook Drama
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:47 am »
Facebook removed my post, and gave me a 12 hour block.  I was so abusive.  ::) Meanwhile, the two users comments are still up.  Life went on today, without being able to post..lol.  Oh Lord, how will I survive without being able to like pics of babies, kittens, and dogs?!  This is one of those very silly and insignificant things that somehow manages to get your goat.  It is that silly feeling that some asshole got one over on you.  I went on with yard work chores, and we still had a good evening.  It is just that unhealthy feeling that someone bested you, even though what he bested you on is so silly and ridiculous.

This happened in a post by NBC Nightly News.  They posted about an Oklahoma TV station having to take cover, while live on the air.  I am sure Facebook gets millions of abuse reports daily.  There is no way they could read each one for context.  So, this must be computer generated.  But, I would think it would take several complaints by different users, to cause this action.  He threatened people about challenging him.  Perhaps he has a computer system that can send out several complaints. 

I didn't have anything I wanted to post today.  There were family posts about holiday plans that I was restricted from commenting on, and private messages I couldn't respond.  But, there are phones and texting.  I do find it troubling someone can shut you down so easily.  I did respond to him by name.  However, this happens in just about every post I see.  I see real threats and users being very abusive, yet those stay up.  The one guy today makes a comment that could be taken as a real threat.  But, it is still up.  Saying liberals will get theirs soon could be viewed as a real threat of violence.  But, I was the one way over the top and abusive.  Perhaps I could have made my point without referring to him directly, but I've been taught to not be so passive aggressive.   8)

No, I don't get into Facebook arguments with complete strangers.  I don't have time to argue with strangers and look back to see how they replied.  The last time I challenged someone was months ago, and that was someone posting homophobic remarks in a marriage equality post.  This guy was saying gays are AIDS spreaders and should be quarantined, so I challenged him.  I was interested in this post, because I worked in TV news.  His comments just struck me as vile, especially in light of so many deaths, so I voiced my opinion.  He certainly has the right to his.  Obviously, a website can decide what you have the right to say on their site.

With the being concerned about something silly thing-- He dared people to respond to him, saying they will be sorry.  Even if I never use Facebook again (which I do less and less), I am curious how he accomplished this.  He obviously knew he could do it.  You can report an entire post as abusive or as spam.  However, as far as I can tell, there is no function to report an individual user comment within that thread.  A friend thought he may work at Facebook or know someone who does.  I doubt it. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Facebook Drama
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:33:27 am »
Hey Ted,

I'm confused on why you are so upset about having a message blocked by FB.  While you say it's insignificant, your words could not be more clear, that you are upset that you were "bested" by someone on FB.  Really???  I cannot understand what you are trying to say and I'm not being dismissive of your feelings, however, I must question your perceptions of what constitutes being "bested."

I learned long ago that the only opinions I value, are from people who know me very well, or those whom I admire and respect.  All the rest is just noise.  I have also learned that replying to any post, that includes derogatory comments and insults is like pissing into the wind.  You will never reach the intended target, but you will wind up covered in piss: of your own making.

This is why I question your view of being "bested."  To me, being "bested" as it pertains to social media, involves a worthy endeavour, with reasonable and respectful debate, where someone is able to refute your positions, using facts, thereby "besting" you in the discussion.  What "besting" does not include is almost everything that is present in the FB posts that you shared.

I think you might be what I call a "brooder", because I am also a "brooder" and while you say one thing, it's evident that something else is also going on as well.  I'm not fooled when you say this does not matter, because you don't post five paragraphs of how it doesn't bother you if it didn't.  You post five paragraphs about this issue, because you know it grates the hell out of you, as evidenced by your thinking about this, almost non-stop since last night.

Sadly, I understand the behaviour and all I can offer is you better get a grip on this behaviour now, or it will haunt you for the rest of your life.  Ruminating on any issue, for extended periods will only serve to drain your being.  Being unable to distinguish between what really matters in life, will leave you at the mercy of people who don't know the first thing about you.

For some of those folks, they could not care less about who you are, or how you feel.  The question for you, might be, why do you care so much, about how strangers view who you are?

Joe   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:36:55 am by killfoile »

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:50:26 pm »
I do find it troubling someone can shut you down so easily.  I did respond to him by name.  However, this happens in just about every post I see.  I see real threats and users being very abusive, yet those stay up.  The one guy today makes a comment that could be taken as a real threat. 

You said it, brother. The worst is when some stranger attacks you with words like acid right in the face out of nowhere, and you get banned until you "calm down". Just let the acid dry and find a new site until you get bored. It seems to work.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »

Libtard??  (liberal retard??)  This Bandon thinks some local news station deserves death and destruction from a violent natural disaster.  For being, supposedly, liberal?  And he can't spell.   And right on, what has this got to do with politics.

What about ignoring such negative energy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:03 pm »
I think it's because you used smart, whole words like "spew" and "vile," and not ftard words maid up bi libtards, yo!

Also, I looked up that person and he looks like a douchebag.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:52:36 am »
Always thought FB was trash.  Not that interested in being on this site either.  I'm taking off, there is a bus back to the city that leaves in a couple of hours.  I'm on it   8)  Have the best day
Michael

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:02:16 am by Oceanbeach »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.