Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

The Silver Project

<< < (2/4) > >>

deibster:
Hello all,
I live in Provincetown, MA. We have a very active ASO, the AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod; it's the center of my social life. Not only do we have Poz people over 50, we have poz people from 50 to 70; I'm 60. Being a resort and artsy community, some of us have moved here when we stopped working at our full-time careers.

We have ID docs who have been treating this disease for 20 years or more, so they are keeping up with the times, and the aging population. They get continuing education from Beth Israel in Boston. One of these docs is about 65, so I don't know how much longer he'll keep working. Hopefully, he'll stay on, at least part-time, for several more years.
In brotherhood, Deiby

Miss Philicia:
Just four years ago Philly's statistics for HIV showed 38% being over the age of 50, so I'm sure it's 40% or more by now. We're actually in the process of constructing the second publicly funded LGBT-friendly lower income senior housing facility in the US (the first one was Triangle Square/Hollywood CA) This $20 million project will have 56 units on six floors and is around the corner from both the William Way gay community center (which has many +50 oriented programs) as well as the largest HIV clinic in the city, and in the larger "Gayborhood" of the city's downtown. Rent will be between $165 and $785 per month depending on the income tier of the resident though I'm not sure what the age qualifier is.

dmhFund link

btw, the funding for this was passed by a legislature with Republican majorities in both houses and signed by a Republican governor. 8)

Here is an article from a couple weeks ago about the larger national effort to construct similar facilities, some public some private or a combination of funding.

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Oceanbeach on May 14, 2013, 12:26:08 AM ---Hey Mitch,

I've been a member of the Forums for around 8 or 9 years and since my life is so fascinating, I go for long periods of time without posting and I don't know where a lot of (most of) the Forum members live.  I was hoping the health care providers in the US are gearing up for some form of Silver Project because so many of us are living to be over 50 and need to be ready for old person treatment in addition to HIV care.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

--- End quote ---
Hi Michael,

The concept is great and very needed but I think it will be very slow in developing.
The larger cities with larger hiv populations will be the first.
The possibility of such a project in Connecticut is doubtful IMO.
There are no gayborhoods in the state that I am aware of.

--- Quote from: deibster on May 14, 2013, 11:13:03 AM ---

We have ID docs who have been treating this disease for 20 years or more, so they are keeping up with the times, and the aging population. They get continuing education from Beth Israel in Boston. One of these docs is about 65, so I don't know how much longer he'll keep working. Hopefully, he'll stay on, at least part-time, for several more years.
In brotherhood, Deiby

--- End quote ---
Hey Deiby,
I had an ID doc for a few years (about 20 years ago) that moved his practice to the cape.
He was a nice guy and I was sorry to see him leave. (although I am very happy with my current doc)
Wonder if my old doc is still there. He is probably close to 65 years old now.

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on May 14, 2013, 11:43:47 AM ---

Here is an article from a couple weeks ago about the larger national effort to construct similar facilities, some public some private or a combination of funding.

--- End quote ---
Nice to see more LGBT housing is being built and considered for the older folks.
I've been checking periodically online for potential future retirement options.
Not much has gotten off the ground for awhile.
Seems odd as it appears the demand is much more than the supply.

LetsKickASS:
I live in San Francisco. I'm a long term survivor. I've been on several studies at SF General. I can't find any information online about the Silver Project. I'd like to inquire about joining and perhaps posting some of my experiences on my website www.LetsKickASS.org.

LetKickASS.org is dedicated to Healing Wounded AIDS Warriors—those traumatically affected by AIDS. HIV is now 30 years old. If our lives are extended, how do we move forward and plan for the next 30 years? Let's come together and figure it out.

AIDS Survivor Syndrome is a trauma-related disorder akin to PTSD. It affects long-term survivors of AIDS, and those who tested positive before 1996 when protease inhibitors changed HIV from a death sentence to a “chronic manageable illness”. Wounded AIDS Warriors are those traumatically affected by HIV/AIDS.

Please check out my effort on line or on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AIDSSurvivorSyndrome

Peace and Let's Kick (ASS)
Tez Anderson

jm1953:
Michael,

Thank you for posting this.  I think the Silver Project is a model many other cities should adopt.  I certainly wish we had one here in Seattle but funds are very tight.  This is an idea I may propose to the University of Washington Medical Department who run much of the HIV care here. 

Thanks again,

JM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version